We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming with Sharks

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
530 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming with Sharks

I am doing research for a friend's honeymoon and her soon to be husband is intersted in "swimming with sharks" while they are on vaca. Does anyone know of this type of tour or activity around Honolulu?

Cost?

Location?

Safety?

Your experience..

thanks!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,350 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming with Sharks

1. There are at least two companies who provide Shark Encounters. Both go out of Haleiwa on the North Shore of Oahu, about an hours drive from Waikiki.

Check out their websites at:

www.hawaiisharkencounters.com/default.asp

http://www.sharktourshawaii.com/

2. The cost to go on the boat and into the cage is $96 to $105.

3. I have never gone (I have seen waaaaay more than my share of sharks without paying for the privilege), but it has a super high visitor satisfaction quotient. Almost everyone who goes loves it. I believe you can find reviews under the "things to do" tab on the left of the TA forum screen. And there are many threads on the subject.

Folks regularly post on this board about how great it is. I can't recall a single negative post, and for many it is the highlight of their island vacation.

4. It is safe. I believe there has never been an injury from the activity. And, the sharks are more concerned with the chum in the water and each other than the folks in the cage.

5. If you are prone to seasickness, you absolutely will get seasick (try ginger).

6. It is a very controversial activity. Many would like to ban it, and the State legislature has had several bills to try to stop it. The boats go out past the state-enforced three mile limit into unregulated terrritory to do their thing.

Personally, I think it has zero effect on the sharks, their environment or their propensity to attack people. But I am sure there are plenty who disagree.

7. They are trying to make a reality TV show about it.

8. Go soon, as it will probably be illegal within a couple of years.

Slave Lake
Level Contributor
110 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming with Sharks

As Amber answered most of your questions, I'll just tell you about the experience.

By far the coolest thing we did on our last trip to Oahu. Like Amber said if you are prone to seasickness take some sort of precaution. One of the members of our group is a tough guy and spent the whole day feeling under the weather because he was too much of a man to take anything. You only get about 20 minutes in the cage for a 3 hour tour, that feels like about 5 minutes. Being from Northern Alberta we don't get too many opportunites to see sharks so this was definitely worth it. We went with Hawaii Shark Encounters and the staff are really nice people.

The tour companies will pick you up in Waikiki if you don't have a rental car,. I'd rent a car and take the opportunity to tour North Shore after the tour. I read somewhere that the early tour is the best to take as far as seasidckness goes.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,853 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming with Sharks

I did the North Shore Shark Adventure with some swimming friends a couple of years ago. They mostly loved it, a couple of guys got sick and the sharks looked as bored as I was.... You are in a cage, so you aren't really swimming with them and they were totally uninterested in us. If they had biting on the cage that might have gotten my blood pressure up a little....

As it was, I was happy to have done it once and if you've never seen them in the open water before, I can see where it would be a thrill. I've seen them when I am surfing and I've seen them when I was diving... that definitely gets the blood flowing.

As far as North Shore Shark Adventure, the guides couldn't have been nicer. They were fun and very informative.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming with Sharks

We're in Oahu in March, and interested in the Shark Encounter. Would the water be too choppy on the North Shore during that time?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
537 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming with Sharks

I did the tour last August in North Shore. I took the first boat out (around 6:30 AM?) as ocean conditions said to be the calmest plus it as summer when ocean is said to be calm vs other time sof year there.

The drive out on the boat that morning looking at the mountains along the beautiful coast (near the beach where Lost is now filmed) was beautiful.

We were two groups, each with about 5 people who got to spend about 20 minutes in the cage with about 4-6 six foot sharks. I found it pretty neat for the first five minutes and then I was kind of done. Although I am not prone to sea-sickness and can spend hours in the ocean snorkeling (and I scuba dive), there was something about being in that enclosed box and seriously bobbing up and down that made me feel very quesy. One of the people on our group had to stand up on the edge of the cage to vommit.

Alll in all it was ok. Not all that different to me than looking at sharks through a glass wall at an aquarium, although I'm sure most others probably would not agree. Definitely not something I feel an urge to do again when I am in the area.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming with Sharks

My husband did this on our first visit and this was at the end of october he also took the first trip out and he said the water was a little rough. Me I didn't want to see a shark by accident or on purpose.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
414 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming with Sharks

I sooo wanted to do this, and on the only day we were at the north shore, we booked the tour in the afternoon, and they said it was to choppy to go in the water. They will take you out to see the sharks feed, but they wouldn't let us swim. I was soooo bummed. PLEASE BOOK EARLY IN THE MORNING to get the best seas to get in the water with.

There are two companies on the north shore, both are almost the same, Although from my research we chose the north shore shark Adventure over the other.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
414 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming with Sharks

sorry, forgot the link, check here for the latest prices.

http://www.sharktourshawaii.com/

9. Re: Swimming with Sharks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 15, 2010