We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
180 helpful votes
Trip Report

DH & I just returned from a 4-night stay at Hilton Hawaiian Village. I’ve been reading this forum for nearly a month and most of my questions were answered in other threads so I didn’t ask many questions but got great info.

We stayed in the Rainbow Tower with a sunset/ocean view room. The room was bright and clean with a mini-fridge & sink. The balcony was a good size with nice comfy chairs. We had a perfect view for sunset. We couldn’t see much of the ocean but the harbor and downtown Honolulu views were great. This was a beautiful resort but we spent most of our time sight-seeing so didn’t feel it was really worth the cost for us. A small hotel in the middle of Waikiki would have suited our needs. The 6 hour time difference was harder than we thought so we were in bed at 9 p.m. 

We were up by 4 a.m. & went to the Wailea (sp?) Coffee Shop across the street for breakfast. This was not a luxury place but had good breakfast at bargain prices (compared to HHV). The first full day was spent walking all over Waikiki & seeing the different resorts & beautiful beachfront public areas & statues. I was surprised by the number of people who appeared homeless or transient. It was sad to see especially in one of the most beautiful places in the U.S. I realize we have that problem all over the mainland too but we always think of Hawaii as being perfect. We spent some time in the afternoon by the pool & ordered Mai Tais. We only had 2 each but that came to $40 plus tip! Later in the evening we used the trolly to go to Hula Grill. The trolly was a good bargain at $2.00 pp & we loved the open-air cars. Hula Grill had a perfect beachfront setting & was exactly what we pictured with the outdoor tables & torches burning.

Next day we went to Pearl Harbor via the Bus. We don’t have public transportation here at home so thought it might be hard to figure out but we got along fine. We lucked out & got tickets for the 8:40 boat so we only waited 10 minutes when we were expecting about 2 hours. Pearl Harbor was very moving & something everyone should visit. We also did the Pacific Air Museum & had lunch in the café - it was surprisingly good. We picked up our priceline rental car at the airport (we planned to drive to the North Shore the next day). Priceline’s only option for pickup was at the airport but it wasn’t terribly inconvenient since it was near Pearl Harbor anyway. The savings was worth it. Picked up wine at the ABC to have on our balcony and watch the sunset.

We drove to the North Shore but it rained all day long. It was the only day left so we went in spite of the rain. We also stopped by the the Dole Plantation but it was more of a retail trap & not our type of place. After returning to HHV we parked the car & caught the trolly to Dukes. We just had pupus & Mai Tais for dinner but everything was good. It was a fun place to people watch.

Our last morning we spent by the pool before catching our flight to Maui.

We didn’t have time to climb Diamond Head & probably missed lots of other things on Oahu, but we enjoyed our trip.

Hope this isn’t too long & boring!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,414 posts
22 reviews
38 helpful votes
1. Re: Trip Report

Not too long, and certainly not boring! Too bad it rained on your visit to North Shore. Look forward to your continued adventures on Maui.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
22,666 posts
3 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: Trip Report

Yes, that time difference is a killer, and 6 hours really throws you off for meals and sleeping.

You did well on the bus trip to Pearl Harbor, and only having to wait 10 minutes. Everyone else seem to report 2 hours. I hope we get that lucky this summer.

Sorry it rained on your last day, but at least you made the effort. Thanks for sharing with us.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
55,706 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Trip Report

Sounds like you had a wonderful time on Oahu despite the rain. The coffee house you talk about is the Wailana, great place for breakfast if you are looking to save a few bucks and even it you are not!! Yes, we do have quite a homeless problem most visitors don't realize. It isn't easy or cheap to live in paradise.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
820 posts
3 reviews
37 helpful votes
4. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for taking the time to post your trip report, I really enjoyed it.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
5. Re: Trip Report

Would you rather be a non-producer in Hawaii or Fargo! Pretty funny.:"}

6. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 30, 2010