We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oahu 5 day itinerary - advice needed!!!

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Oahu 5 day itinerary - advice needed!!!

Hi guys!

My 4 friends and I will be travelling to Oahu between december the 6th to 11th (5 nights, 5 days).

I've been reading alot on the advice that have been given regarding the places to visit and the best way to visit them. Alot of the suggestions have been to get around by renting a car! Although we would LOVE to do that, it is not feasible for us to do so (as we are from Sydney, and only just got our full licenses - don't want to risk driving in a new environment on the other side of the road!)

We are desperate for advice as to how to get around with public transport as well as getting most out of our time there! We are hoping to combine a few things to do every day .. please help us out! Any advice is welcome!! Thanks in advance :)

(Very) Brief itinerary:

Day 1 - Luau @ Paradise Cove

We only have the late afternoon/evening of when we arrive to cover this and this will take up the first day!

Day 2 - Waikiki

The second day will be spent exploring the Waikiki area including International Marketplace as well as the beaches.

Day 3 - Snorkelling @ Hanuama Bay

To be done early in the morning till about noon. Not sure what to do in the afternoon, we want to go for some swimming/sunbaking, but want to visit other beaches on the island apart from Waikiki ...

Day 4 - Pearl Harbor/US Arizona Memorial

To be done hopefully very early in the morning. Not sure what to do in the afternoon, we really want to incorporate the North Shore/Windward side of beaches - but is this ALOT of trouble if we don't have a car? (Possible North shore on day 4 and Windward side on day 3? We're really not sure!)

Day 5 - Diamond Head

Early morning hike as well as shopping at Ala Moana Shopping Centre.

Day 6 - Fly off to the States for the rest of our holiday!

We aren't too interested in the museums/palaces. We would really love to see the North Shore/Windward beaches but unsure how to get there on days 3 and 4. If anyone could give us any advice at all, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Suzie

Canberra
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Oahu 5 day itinerary - advice needed!!!

Hey Suzie,

We just got back from 7 nights in Waikiki and are from Canberra. We hired a car for the day and nailed the island in a day - it is trully not that big. Avoid the Freeways if you can, being a new driver. We rented from Thrifty and they told us most cars come back by 3-4pm as people have seen the Nth Shore etc etc so 2 days will be plenty for you. Driving is pretty easy, only tricky in central Waikiki. Ask for GPS if you can get it - will make life v easy. Ala Moana rocks compared to aussie malls - i.e the shopping is cheap - think $30 Nikes, $30 Levi 501s etc at Sears. Also don't bother with Duty Free grog before you leave Oz - it's cheaper at the local supermarkets in Waikiki! We did tours to the other places - i.e $15 per head for Hanauma Bay which included the van ride and gear plus pickup. Sure The Bus is cheap but can be VERY slow - i.e 90mins to the Aloha Markets for $2ea when we found we could have gone in a VIP Aloha minibus for $5 ea in 20mins odd! For a Luau, try Germaines. Good fun and they let you drink, whereas some others don't..... Diamond Head is well worth it - just expect to SWEAT!! Email me at pht@actewagl.net.au if you want more info. cheers!

TEXAS
Level Contributor
270 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Oahu 5 day itinerary - advice needed!!!

Suzie...check with your hotel for parking in waikiki. It is not easy to find random parking, and it can be expensive. Have fun!!! Make sure to cisit Kailua/Lanikai, and spend time on the North Shore Beaches!!

I can't wait to return! Aloha!

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Oahu 5 day itinerary - advice needed!!!

Joan - We didn't rent a car because we were never planning to go around the island. Been there, done that already! The money spent for the rental, gas, and parking would not have been worth the money for what OUR needs actually were. Agreed, the Hanauma Bay cabride was pricey and I don't actually recommend it... the only reason why we took a cab there is because the bus was completely full when we tried to get on to go to the bay. It was not a planned expense... but we still came out saving money in the long run, with little extra investment of time.

I'm also surpised by how many people are so insistent about car rentals when it's not always necessary. Makes me wonder if that's our car-dependent American culture at work, but that's a whole other thread!

Some people can't get by without a car and will insist that you can't either. Some people do fine otherwise. I guess the main lesson here is to do your homework about all of your options and assess your own priorities to see what's the best fit. There's not one right answer.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,246 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Oahu 5 day itinerary - advice needed!!!

We are from California where everyone uses cars for everything and we are NOT renting a car in Waikiki!! If you want to go to the north shore there are lots of full day tours. Oahunature tours.org also has a halfday(starting at 1PM tour) that goes to the north shore too. That way you don't have to get up early every day. Have a great trip

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,772 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Oahu 5 day itinerary - advice needed!!!

I agree one does NOT need a rental car if just staying in Waikki and area, we also took public transport to Pearl Harbour and Hanauma Bay, BUT, to really enjoy the whole island , I heartily recommend renting a car for ONE day. There are so many beautiful spots that you can stop at, and bus tours have their own agendas( usaully only stopping at two or three sites and a shopping site, ugh) . A car for one day is a great way to see alot more of the island, and cheaper then most tours, as they range from 30 to 50+ dollars per person.

I am not American so the " car culture" thing is not an issue for me, many people walk or bike here ( where I live) year round.

thinkparis
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Oahu 5 day itinerary - advice needed!!!

Don't forget to get a Go Hawaii Card, it includes the cost of the Hike to Diamond Head, US arizona Memorial, Wakikki Trolley and the Snorkeling in Hanuama Bay. They're on sale today, so you should check out the website just to see if it's a good deal for you.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
336 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Oahu 5 day itinerary - advice needed!!!

Another alternative is to rent mopeds, little motorcycles. They are everywhere in the Waikiki area.