We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HHV Question

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
306 posts
1 review
Save Topic
HHV Question

We are considering a trip to Hawaii in Sept. 2006 and had a few questions about HHV on Oahu:

1. We like the HHV because it seems that it has a good location/safe area. True?

2. The resort appears to be huge. We would prefer not to be mobbed with crowds. Does the resort have the feel of being crowded?

3. How is the beach? We are accustomed to the calm waters of the Caribbean. I understand that waikiki being ocean, there will be more waves, but is it a good beach and safe for swimming? That is my main concern with an island like Kauai, because it seems like the resorts on the ocean the surf would be rough.

Any insights appreciated.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,827 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HHV Question

The location is safe; it is good but is at one end of Waikiki and so is a bit of a walk to the "heart" of Waikiki, but not impossibly far.

The resort is huge, but I've never felt crowded in the resort itself .... probably b/c it is so big. The beach is another story. I was there in May one year and could hardly find a place to put my towel, at least not right in front of the hotel. Other times it hasn't been quite so crowded -- but it is Waikiki and there will probably be a good number of people there at any time.

The beach is okay for swimming -- it's a bit rocky (small stones, not big boulders) underneath. There are lifeguards, too, so you'll be safe. Personally, I like Kailua Beach Park best as far as beaches on Oahu go, but it's on the opposite side of the island. The surf can vary in size/strength from week to week. It probably won't be as calm as the Carribbean, but it is often calm enough to swim w/o getting beaten by the waves. If the waves are high, you may want to be a little more careful.

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: HHV Question

That is very helpful. Thank you.

Kailua, Hawai'i
Level Contributor
86 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HHV Question

It is safe, then again, I have never felt unsafe in Waikiki and I have lived here my whole life. Of course I would not recommend walking in a dark alley at night alone :)

I never felt overly crowded at the HHV. Everywhere you go in Waikiki is pretty crowded, so you may have to just try and deal with the crowds. Especially during the summer months (June-Sep) the whoe area of Waikiki is crawling with tourists and locals.

As far as the beach is concerned, the water is not too rough in Waikiki. Especially closer to the HHV, it is pretty calm. Like mentioned above though, the beaches do get crowded easily. I would recommend renting a car, heading over the Pali Hwy, ang going to Lanikai or Kailua Beach. The beaches are pretty calm on that side and much cleaner than Waikiki. Even cleaner then Kailua and Lanikai is Waimanalo. That is a beautiful beach, you should check it out if you have the time to do so.

Hope this helps a little!

Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HHV Question

I agree with 'Nalani's' insights, and suggestions regarding Waikiki and HHV. Locals can give you much needed and knowledgable advice.

5. Re: HHV Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:29 pm, November 24, 2005
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HHV Question

We just returned from a 8 day stay at the HHV. I would go back in a heart beat. I never had the feeling of being crowded. It has far and away the best beach area on the strip, and the water is kind of a bay so the waves are not bad at all. My hubby and I both agreed our favorite part of the vacation was sitting on the lanai at 6:oo AM and watching what we called the "sand fairy" level out the beach area and watching the sun come up drinking awesome coffee. It was unbelievable how beautiful the resort is. You will love it!

Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question