We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Day trip to the big island, worth it or not?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
234 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
A Day trip to the big island, worth it or not?

Aloha,

This will be our 4th trip back to Hawaii. We have been to Oahu, Kauai, and Maui. We have never been to the big island and since we are staying at Oahu this trip, I was wondering if it is worth it to fly to the big island to see the main highlights for a day trip?

It is about $600 for two, so I am just seeing if it is worth it in anybody's opinion? Thanks. ~Sparky

Mentioned in this post
Aloha
Aloha
4 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Day trip to the big island, worth it or not?

Hi Sparky,

The Big Island is amazingly different that the other Islands (we love it).

Suppose one day would be better than nothing, but three would barely be enough...to do it justice.

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Day trip to the big island, worth it or not?

Sparky....I'm just curious. 600 dollars for a day trip? Would this be just for the day~~no overnight?

For one day, you will not get to see a lot of the island. If you want to go to the Volcan National Park, it will take a lot of your day. If you don't do the Volcano, and have a car, you could drive some of the island....but have a good plan and map. You could cover a lot of ground with a car if you have a lot of hours and do it right. You'd have to decide on either traveling the island or the Vocano Park....not enough time for both.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
234 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Day trip to the big island, worth it or not?

pattie 2004,

Yes I am inquiring about a day trip only. They would pick us up at our hotel at 3:40 am and we would fly to the Big island and It sounds like we would see the highlights of the big island and then arrive back to our hotel at 10 pm that same evening, so it would be a 15 hr day trip by tour. It is $280.00 per person, plus no meals are not included in the price either. Just pondering the thought.....

Fountain Hills, AZ
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Day trip to the big island, worth it or not?

Aloha,

I have been to all the islands and must admit, BI is the least of my favorite. Having said that, one day of sightseeing is not enough however. There are many places to explore from volcano to Waipeo Valley to Hilo. Plan on at least spending 3 days.

Mentioned in this post
Aloha
Aloha
4 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua, Hawai'i
Level Contributor
86 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Day trip to the big island, worth it or not?

The Big Island is one of the most beautiful islands we have in our state. One day? No, definitely not enough time to explore. You would need at least 3 days and one day for $600.00??? No way, not worth it at all. I was just there in October for my family reunion, I almost forgot how beautiful it is. It is VERY relaxed, so if you do go there, don't plan on it being anything like Waikiki. It is very scenic though, definitely would recommend that you plan a trip there one day, but not for ONE day!

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Day trip to the big island, worth it or not?

With an island the size of the Big Island I would suggest that the one day island tour is barely going to scratch the surface. We did the Volcano tour and, despite that also being a very early start and late finish, we could have done with more time.

If this really is going to be your only chance to see the island then go for it. A trip of 3 days would be the better option if you plan to return to the islands.

7. Re: A Day trip to the big island, worth it or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, May 25, 2009