We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussies Shopping Trip Report!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Aussies Shopping Trip Report!

After just returning form 10 fabulous days in Oahu and shopping up a storm (took back 58kgs of luggage, 4 carry on bags a suit bag!)

We bought everything from socks to suits, cheap shoes and designer shoes and thought I may help other Aussies going over

I loved Ala Moana shopping centre (similar to Bondi Junction or Chadstone shopping centres), Macys and Neiman Marcus had great sales on - $19 Levis, $9 Calvin Klein men’s underwear (we paid $26 at Myer Sydney) all the boutique shops were great, most had sales on, it is SO much cheaper than Sydney – I bought Juicy Couture thongs for $20 which I saw at David Jones Bondi for $99, Diesel t-shirts $30, I bought some American brand wedges for $11 at Macys and Christian Louboutin shoes at Nordstrom for $220 (easy $800 at D’J;s ) I bought all new cosmetics hair care, skin care at Sephora ( giant cosmetics store I am in love with! ) Chanel foundation for $42 (I paid $87 here in Sydney at Myer) I splurged on a Christian Dior Handbag for $900, which I just priced in David Jones for $1900! My boyfriend bought a Hugo Boss Suit for $750 ( $2000 in D’J’s )

The shops along Waikik were also great, great clothes shop for women called White House Black Market which I loved, All the Guess/Juicy Coture/Deisel and ALL designer shops are cheaper then here,

I am not a huge outlet fan as I find that most of them stock leftover goods they cant get rid of but I went with an open mind to the outlets in Waikele – I should have trusted my instincts – waste of time, it was just that, old stock that wasn’t even cheap: ie: Michael Kors handbags for $250 that were very ugly compared to the $120 one I bought at Ala Moana at the actual Michael Kors shop!!! The same with the Ross Dress for Less shop, I know some people rated it but it was like a giant Best & Less Shop that had been turned upside down, again there was the odd “designer” item which were old and ugly!

There is just so much more variety over there , look on all the websites before you go – Sephora.com, macys.com, neimanmarcus.com, etc… and you will see all the prices and products they have before you go!

Any questions please ask! Don’t forget to get your tourist card at Macys – take your passport and they give you a card which entitles you to 10% of everything – even sale stock!

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,666 Reviews
Oahu, HI
melbourne
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aussies Shopping Trip Report!

I am also planning on going to Hawaii sometime this year because of the great aussie dollar. Thanks for the great info on the shopping as this is one the reasons I really want to go. Did you come across any Manolo's whilst you were shopping for shoes? I really want a pair of Mary Janes and they are the cheapest they will ever be about $700ish??

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aussies Shopping Trip Report!

I bought the Manolo Mary Janes in NYC last year - yes they are there at Neiman Marcus - I think they were $645 ? They unfortunately are never on sale as they are a classic, they did have other Manolos on sale, some as cheap as $300 or so, there is also Jimmy Choo boutique at Ala Moana , both Nordstrom & Neiman Marcus stock Manolos and Christian Louboutin. I also bought Chanel ballet flats at the Waikiki store for $495- they are $900 in Sydney, all the Designer stores all sell shoes - Gucci, Dior, Louis Vuitton, Prada, Fendi, Michael Kors - too many shoes so little time ( and money!)

Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,666 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
melbourne
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aussies Shopping Trip Report!

I'm thinking of buying my MJ's online but not sure orfsize so it makes it very hard! Are they normal european sizing? I'm usually a 37.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aussies Shopping Trip Report!

Who did you fly with, did they charge you excess $$$ on all that weight?

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Aussies Shopping Trip Report!

If you plan on going to Macy's be alert for their "One Day" sells, including their special morning sales on those days which are in effect for only a few hours. Check out the Macys.com site.

If you're near a printer print out their discount coupons, good for another percentage off of many items. You can get them from the local newspaper too.

I always print out piles of them and enlist my husband to hit the store with me. Whatever coupons I don't use I give away as I stand in line at the register or as I leave the store. Merry Christmas!

A few weeks ago I was armed with coupons offering up to 25% off plus coupons worth $10 off on any purchase. Working the "One Day/Morning Only" sales I saved a bundle!

I love watching the Aussie visitors shop. They seem so excited and joyful---we must truly have tremendous bargains here compared to where they live!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
273 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aussies Shopping Trip Report!

Great report, I disagree about Waikele outlets though. I scored Hilfiger golf shorts there in 2006 for $15US each which I've seen back home at Myer for $100. My wife also bought some Ralph Lauren shirts for cheap too.

There are bargains to be had.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aussies Shopping Trip Report!

Great report!! Outlet centers here in the U.S. are VERY hit and miss. Some people could find great bargains one day, while others may not find anything at all on another day!

dudley uk
Level Contributor
143 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aussies Shopping Trip Report!

Thanks for your great report! Have decided not to take any clothes with me and fill my case with Christain Louboutins!!! Who had the Levis at $19, need to stock up?? Need to make more time for shopping, will 9 days be enough??!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
188 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aussies Shopping Trip Report!

Good report, there sure is some great shopping to be had regardless of the "pacific pesos" worth. On Waikele though, a couple of things made it worthwhile. my wife and daughter picked up some nice Guess tees and bags, and me and son picked up some killer Vans tees, 4 for $20!

We also went to the Kmart over the road, which are much nicer (and less feral) than the Kmart at home, and they have free internet computers! Perfect for checking the footy scores.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
510 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Aussies Shopping Trip Report!

From one Sydney-sider to another - thank you SO much for the review!

My hubby and I were hoping to get some new (bargain) clothes while we're over there and it looks like we'll be in luck! Gotta love the States for shopping hey?

Where did you stay?