We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flight turbulence to Honolulu

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eau Claire...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
flight turbulence to Honolulu

With our flight to Honolulu fast approaching, I was starting to wonder about the possibility of turbulence. I've heard that these flights can sometimes be rough. Does it matter what time of year you travel? We are on the direct flight from MSP to HNL (roundtrip). Has anyone traveled this flight path (or one similar) and if so, how was it? We are flying out on Sat, 9/26 and returning on Mon, 10/5.

Also, does it make a difference where you are seated in the cabin of the plane?

Thanks for your help!

Central MN
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: flight turbulence to Honolulu

We've flown 6 or 7 times (I've lost count) in and out of HNL (and have been on that exact flight once or twice) usually Oct/Nov or Jan/Feb and have NEVER had any memorable turbulence experiences.

I personally think you'll feel the same turbulence no matter where you sit on the plane (but I'm curious to see what others would say to that).

The only island we had bad turbulence was our inter island flight last trip in and out of Maui (OGG - Kahului). We survived it, and will be doing it again in January :)

California
Level Contributor
5,928 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flight turbulence to Honolulu

Most turbulence is caused by flying over land, not water. The two main mountain ranges in the US cause most of the turbulence while flying coast to coast. Although some flights have light turbulence flying from the west coast to Hawaii, it's generally no big deal. I've been on that route dozens of times and can't remember one flight that was out of the norm. Just a warning, landing into any of the Hawaiian Islands can be very bumpy because of the trade winds, Maui being the worst.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,339 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flight turbulence to Honolulu

Never had a problem. Some turbulance, but nothing memorable. As Clint said, I can always tell when we cross the California Coast.

Thunderstorms in the mid-west ... others can speack to that.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,128 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flight turbulence to Honolulu

You'll be fine! Never had a problem into Honolulu...Maui is another story! We call it the "Maui Gremlin"...somewhere about 4 hours out from Seattle to OGG we get the "YEEHAW" time. You can tell the regulars. Tray tables cleared and headphones in place! HA!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: flight turbulence to Honolulu

We've never encontered any turbulence to HNL from

ATL nostop. We go again this week. You will definately be okay.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: flight turbulence to Honolulu

We've been flying to Hawaii from Chicago for 25 years. I don't remember any special turbulence on any flight.

The only time I was ever sick on an airplane was flying from Chicago to Minnepolis to spend Christmas with my aunt and uncle on Lake Hariet. I was seven years old. This was back in the dark ages when passengers sat in single rows flanking an aisle.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,518 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flight turbulence to Honolulu

Hi,

Flights to/from Hawaii from the US Mainland are not widely known for bouts of turbulence.. However, it's not unknown to have turbulence as it can vary depending on weather at that time and your chosen flight plan..

If you're looking for the smoothest ride, you'll want to be as close to the wing or just forward of the wing.. This is the fulcrum point.. Think of the aircraft like a child's see-saw.. The farther from the middle (or fulrum point) you are, the more you're going to experience movement.

Travel Safe,

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flight turbulence to Honolulu

We took that flight and there was almost no turbulence.

"Also, does it make a difference where you are seated in the cabin of the plane?"

Yes, if you are in first class and spill your drink they will give you another one free...lol

Typically, the center of the plane is the most stable but if it gets rough it really won't be that much different.

Eau Claire...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: flight turbulence to Honolulu

Thank you all so much for your responses . . . I'll stop worrying about it.

vancouver
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flight turbulence to Honolulu

We have never experienced turbulance in or out of Honolulu but agree with the other posters, Maui (only have been twice) scared the living crap out of me .... :) but wouldnt stop me from going again,

but then again we flew from New Zealand home in April and the turbulence was incredible. THe day before we flew, New Zealand Air had to land their plane in Honolulu, glad I didnt know that....