We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need to bring our own beach towels?

Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Do we need to bring our own beach towels?

When staying at hotels in Hawaii, do we need to bring beach towels? They take up a lot of room in our luggage and I don't want to have to bring them if I don't need them. Do most hotels give you beach towels? What if we were doing a day trip around the island of Oahu and we were going to go to some of the beaches and bays to swim, would we need our own beach towels or could we take some from the hotel?

Thanks

Aussie023

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,712 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we need to bring our own beach towels?

Common question. No, you don't need to bring beach towels. If you need towels for a trip around the island, we usually check them out at the pool, take them to our room and then stuff them in our beach bags/backpacks.

It's better to use the beach towels than the room towels at the beach.

Remember to check the towels back in.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we need to bring our own beach towels?

You can absolutely take some from your hotel just make sure you return them.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,284 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we need to bring our own beach towels?

Do NOT bring beach towels. In the highly unlikely event you need some, get them cheaply from ABC stores as a souvenir. But any decent hotel has towels. You may have to dign them out but so long as you sign them back in, no problem taking them offsite.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we need to bring our own beach towels?

Im bringing 2 old towels (but not daggy)from home and Im going to leave them there when Im finished with them.I have heaps of towels at home.

If you dont check out your op shops,you can pick up good towels for $2.

I dont want to have to bother with checking and asking for towels

I will have room going over but not at the end of my trip,

Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we need to bring our own beach towels?

camdenmum

When are you going over?

Thanks for the tips of bath towels. I wonder if the same would apply on the Big Island...I suppose it would.

camdenmum, are you planning on heaps of shopping...is that why you won't have room on the way back? :)

Mentioned in this post
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,316 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we need to bring our own beach towels?

The advice about beach towels applies on all the islands. Another tip - stop at ABC and pick up a couple of grass mats. They're only a couple of $ and can't be beat for lying on the beach. Keeps the sand from sticking to your towel.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,712 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do we need to bring our own beach towels?

Camden - your two towels will get very dirty very quickly. It's no big deal to check out towels at the pool - if you are staying somewhere with a pool.

The grass mats at the ABC stores are a good idea as well.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,480 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do we need to bring our own beach towels?

Depends on what you like...some condos have some extra Beach towels for guests... Hotels usually for guest's use around the pool. We usually bring our own plush towels for our own personal use ..for what room they take...No baggage fees in Canada....

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,316 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do we need to bring our own beach towels?

For years we traveled here with two beach towels in our luggage. Never used them. Not once. No matter where we stayed, towels were readily available, and we purchased grass mats to lie on.

Unless you insist on traveling with checked baggage - which, IMHO, you shouldn't need traveling to HI - you really don't need to bring towels. And as mentioned, they get dirty pretty fast. Better to get clean towels when you need them and not have to wash your own.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do we need to bring our own beach towels?

AUSSIE,I will be there in mid OCT Im only staying 5 nights on my way home from LA/disneyland

The hotel Im staying at doesnt have a pool(beachside hotel)

And yes Im planning on having my bags full LOL

I havnt shopped all year waiting for this trip,,so Im going to go crazy!!

Miss and I are shoe mad(and clothes mad),so planing on buy lots of shoes while in LA

Im only taking a few good favourite clothes with me,,The rest of my clothes I take Im planning to ditch by hawaii as well to make way for new stuff LOL.

Im taking and empty suitcase in my big suitcase,Ive searched around to find a light weight extra bag,asI have to watch the weight,I dont want the 2 cases to take up half my weight limit.

After reading this though I may just change my mind then and take the experts advice

(ill just check my hotel will give out towels for the beach then)

Thanks guys

;