We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Hawaii and starting to research.......

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
516 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Hawaii and starting to research.......

I am planning a trip to Hawaii in August 06 and starting my research now. I would like to go to Oahu, however, first order of business is hotels or places to stay. From previous experiences, I know that booking a hotel + airfare has proved to be cheapest. I just can't decide between all the hotels because I have never been. Also, is it cheaper to stay in hotels rather than condos? Can anyone please help me with information?????

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,183 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to Hawaii and starting to research.......

How long is your vacation? Are you on a budget? Age and activity level? Are you planning to visit another island, too? Traveling by yourself? Answer these questions and it will make it easier for everyone to help you.

Alhambra, California
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip to Hawaii and starting to research.......

buy the oahu revealed book, it's great. i agree, it is cheaper to book the package deal. what range are you looking into? how many people are going?keep looking into this site, a lot of good advise and suggestions. have fun with your planning!!

Metamora, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip to Hawaii and starting to research.......

The sites that quote a price for the motel room and car do not include the taxes for the car. I found that by going directly to Budget car rentals I saved $32.00 on a four day rental. Check the rate of the hotel without the car and check with a car rental agency. I checked several and found Budget to be the cheapest. According to an article I read on renting cars: If you have car insurance you don't need to buy additional insurance from the car rental agency. Don't buy the gas in the car but return the car with a full tank. If you rent an economy car there is a chance that they may be out of them and you will get a free upgrade to the next class. However, they may be out of the car you reserved and try to upgrade you first without telling you they are out of that car.

Houston Texas
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip to Hawaii and starting to research.......

We traveled there the beginning of May. We naturally were on a budget. I read all the reviews on this site and decided to stay at the Outrigger Luana Waikiki. I was a nice condo, not alot of ammenities, but close enough to walk just about everywhere we wanted to go. Located on Kalakaua Ave. where all the buses and tours buses have pickup locations I booked our flight and hotel seperately and found it to be cheaper. Believe me, I tried all combinations. I also purchased an entertainment book at entertainment.com for Hawaii. It was well worth the money and the hotel we chose also gave us a $10 per day discount with the entertainment card. It included lots of food, and attraction coupons, very helpful if you are planning and scheduling before you arrive. I had everything already planned and scheduled before we got off the plane. Everything worked out really well. Can't wait to return.

Have a great trip!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
516 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip to Hawaii and starting to research.......

Sorry for not clarifying some questions earlier in my post. I am planning on going for 7 days, leaving from Dallas on a Friday evening and returning on the following Sat. Yes, I would like to stay on a budget....I do expect this to be more of an expense than just any normal vacation. I am 28 and my 2 other friends with me will be 27, so are the typical college graduates. All single, like to go out and party some, but also just want to relax on the beach with drinks in our hands. My last 2 big trips have been major sight-seeing trips, so I am looking for relaxation. We are all very active, so hikes, walks, etc won't bother us. I know we want to go to Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor, maybe snorkling or other water activities, and attend a luau.

Hopefully this will help you all better direct me in my research. Thanks!