We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report -

Vancouver
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Trip Report -

Hello All:

Just got back from HNL last nite and I'll do the TR as a daily summary as replies...

Background - Myself and Fiance and another couple stayed at the Aqua Bamboo this was my tenth time on the island and 2nd time in two years last year we stayed at Hotel Renew. This was fiances 3rd time and the couple we travelled with their first time--We also rented a jeep from Alamo..

Hotel - We were going to stay at the Renew again but decided not to due this trip on abit more of a budget found a room rate for 89/nite at Bamboo the reviews on TA looked pretty good plus we read that Lenor Wong was over at the Bamboo and we really liked her at Renew. Overall the Bamboo was what we had expected we had a room on the tenth floor. It was pretty quiet up there except when you opened up the balcony sliding door in mid-afternoon. Customer service was satisfactory nothing extraordinary I was kinda expecting more...but hey for 89 a nite and rooms were clean and nice and good location I would stay again.

Day 1 - We were going to fly out of Seattle on Hawaiian and we are from Vancouver Canada so we left at 3am for our 9am flight. When we get there we find out that mechanical problems have sidelined our plane for the time being and we are indefitnetly delayed. No arrangement at checkout counter was made to put us on another Hawaiian flight or even another carrier. After 6hrs of waiting and a free meal voucher and $100 credit for anotehr flight we were on our way...it actually turned out okay as the plane was empty and we had whole seat rows to ourselves..we got there at 8pm didn't do much other than quick walk of strip than off to bed for full day

Vancouver
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
1. Re: Trip Report -

Day 2 - Got up at 7:30 am and decided to head out to Koko head for a hike and than Makapu Beach park for some bodysurfing and boogie boarding. On the way there we picked up some Malasadas from Leonards it was fairly busy I didn't remember it being this busy last year oh well they were sooo good. So we did the hike/walk by Koko head it was pretty good nice views and photo opp's and good prelude to our Diamond Head hike later in the week. For dinner we headed to Red Lobster for dinner since they don't have one in Vancouver man what a rip off this place is..for the amount we spent and the food we got totally not worth it plus on the top of that parking beside red lobster was $4 and we were told that Red Lobster validates the parking so we got our parking validated and saved a whole whopping 50 cents what a joke...

Day 3 - Again got up early and drove to Waimea Falls for a hike and a swim. I like how now they have boogies boards so you can float to the falls. I swam last year and on the way back I got pretty tired so this year it was nice to kind of float around. After the falls we went to Romy's for shrimp--this was my first time and I gotta admit for some reason I was kinda disappointed I don't know what it was but I was expecting more but it was still very good and recommend anyone who heads to the North Shore to check it out. After lunch we headed to Turtle Bay Resort for some swimming--it's five bucks for parking but if you buy a drink your parking is free. The water was very cold for some reason but did some snorkelling which IMO is one of the better spots on the island more on that later...ended up going to Cheesecake factory for dinner put our names down for outside patio waited about 30 minutes--can't go wrong with this place

Vancouver
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
2. Re: Trip Report -

Day 4 - This was kinda of a wash we had a tough time deciding what to do and whatever we did do didn't pan out properly luckily the weather wasn't the best but I told my finace normally your worst day on vacation is still alot better than a day at work :D We decided to head to P.F Changs for dinner again we don't have one of these places in Vancouver so whenever we have a chance in the States we normally have lunch or dinner there sat out on the patio and dinner didn't disappoint!

Day 5 - This day we drove over to the North Shore this time taking H2 to get up there with a stop at Dole Plantation for some fresh fruit picked up a combo (Sugar Cane, Papaya, Coconut, Mango) for 6 bucks. Again we went to Turtle Bay for some snorkelling and relaxation my fiance hates waves hahaha i know so she really likes this place as its a sheltered bay. We went Kahuina burgers for lunch in Haleiwa man we love this place I both got the Mahi Mahi sandwich with large fries to share hmmm sooo goood...that night we decided to also book Germaines lau for Friday night at Tours 4 less for two ppl it was $130 bucks...for dinner went to California Pizza Kitchen and guess what Vancouver doesn't have this place either :D

Day 6 - We headed over to Makapu again for some boogie boarding my fiance got some sweet videos of me wiping out hahah for some reason I was catching some good shorebreaks but soon as she started taking pics I kept on wiping out... :| We didn't stay long cause we had lau at 4:30pm. So we get to the Hyatt and guess what Lau is cancelled due to chlorine spill!!! We were all kinda pissed cause cut our day half short so after getting our refunds if we couldn't go the Lau we were going to bring it to us...so we headed to the Hyatt were they have Aloha Fridays which included Hawaiian folk singing, dancing and hula which also included hula lessons. They also taught ppl to make Lei's and this bamboo stick thing I forgot what it was called this went from 4:30 - 6:00pm and all free! We all enjoyed it and it lifted our spirits. We than headed to Waikiki Plaza as we heard there was another "free" show well this free show was a eating contest hahah so weird...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
684 posts
113 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report -

REALLY enjoying reading about your trip!!!

More please??

Vancouver
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
4. Re: Trip Report -

Day 7 - Our last full day we decided to drive up to North Shore stopped over at the Pali lookout this was first time for my fiance and I was abit dissappointed don't get me wrong the view was amazing but I remember when I was younger that it used to be so windy and I guess well the trade winds weren't blowing but glad we went. I like the historic significane of the spot thats were legend has it 800 ppl were pushed to their deaths..anyways off we went to North Shore and guess what haha we went to Turtle Bay...but this time it was amazing well cause while I was snorkelling I looked behind me and there was a giant sea turtle just gliding along...so for about five minutes I just swam with it at a comfortable distance just amazing creatures and one of the highlites of my trip. The couple with us also saw a family of sea turtle right on the shoreline. After turtle bay headed back to Waikiki I had promised fiance Chanel sunglasses so off to the store we went after we were done the clerk asked if we had 10 minutes and wanted to see an elusive photo gallery for some reason we said yes and than we upstairs at the Chanel Store to look at photos taken of Coco Chanel by douglas kirkland...haha boring!!! I am sure there are some ppl here that would find that supercool as this women is very elusive but the fact that we were taken to each photo and given a five minute explanation just wsn't fun. For dinner we went to Cheesecake factory haha I know...but hey we love cheesecake and the menu is so big and guess what we don't have one in Vancouver :P Anyways after a later dinner we went to the Moana Surfrider to sit on the rocking chairs to people watch--just a general observation but man there were alot of hookers hanging around the Hyatt Regency

Day 8 - Our flight left at 2pm just spent the morning packing and went for a quick walk. Nice flight back except for what seemed like many babies around us crying

Vancouver
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
5. Re: Trip Report -

Final Comments and Observations

I think we are done with Oahu for now as much as we enjoyed this trip it had this feeling been there done that and while it was relaxing I also felt that i was driving seeing the same things. I think next year we'll go to Maui and maybe do a day trip to the Volcanoes.

I also noticed I guess cause of the H1N1 there were alot of younger folks there to party cause they switched from Mexico to Hawaii..I still remember the night we got there we went for a walk on the strip and as we passed the Hyatt Regency some kid walked to the bushes and puked haha digusting...the strip was pretty busy as usual and it didn't feel like a "recession" as the restaurant were always busy.

Sorry for the long TR if you have any questions feel free to email me!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
216 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Trip Report -

Nice trip report. It sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing.

Baz.

7. Re: Trip Report -

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:34 am, November 22, 2009