We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
88 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

We just got back on Tuesday from a week in Oahu. Here goes the report...

Day 1: We arrived around 3:00 and caught a free shuttle over to Alamo to rent a car. Then we drove to our hotel. Our GPS didn't work. I guess we needed to update our maps to include Hawaii. We checked into the Waikiki Banyan. The hotel was OK. It was clean (no bugs or bad smells)and it was in a good location ans the price was right. We got an extremely good deal on the one bedroom condo w/kitchen. If you are looking for a deal I would stay there..if you are looking for luxury I would not stay there.We did not use the kitchen very much. The price of groceries were so high we decided to eat out. We just bought cereal,snacks,etc. We freshened up and hit the strip and ate at the Cheesecake Factory (delicious!) Turned in early after a long day of traveling.

Day 2:

We woke up early due to the time change and drove to Diamond Head. It was tough for me but I hiked it. The stairs are a killer for me. Took lots of photos and hiked down. Stopped at the shaved ice truck at the bottom and had some wonderful pinapple shaved ice. We left there and drove to Kailua Beach. We rented a kayak for two and paddled over to the Mokes. There were four of us so we went two at a time. It was $45.00 for three hours.We stopped at the Pali Lookout on the way back. We left there and went back to the hotel room to get dressed for dinner. We took advantage of the Trolley at night so we didn't have to worry about parking the car. We went to the Shorebird. It was so good and really a lot of fun. They had kareoke. There is a magazine in the lobby with a 50% off coupon so it turned out to be very reasonable.

Day 3:

We got up early and went to Pearl Harbor. Arrived around 8:15. I have been before but it seems like you learn something new every time. There was an author there to autograph his book and also 4 survivors autographed it too. I bought it for my son..a great souvenier.We left there and stopped about a mile away and had lunch and had lunch at the Schooner. It was at a marina. It was open...nice atmosphere. The food was just OK. We left there and went to Aloha Stadium. I probably would not do it again. You can get the same deals in The International Market Place. Back to Waikiki.

Day 4

We woke up at 5:30 to go deep sea fishing. My daughter wanted to go really bad so we signed up with Magic. The marina is by Magic Island.It turned out to be the funnest thing we did. We caught MahiMahi and skip jack tuna. We saw 6 different kinds of whales. Captain Russel and his crew were just awesome. For the serious anglers we did have a marlin on the line but he got away.We came back around 4:00. I was so tired I skipped dinner and went to bed. Everyone else grabbed something to eat near our condo.

Day 5:

We got up early and went to Hanauma Bay. We saw soo many fish, three turtles, and an eel. It was truly awesome! We left and went back to the room to change. We drove to Pier 38 and ate at Niko's (suggested by the crew on the magic) It is place locals go and they usually serve the catch of the day. It was great. I had pan seared swordfish with a cilanro mayo, rice and salad. So good and fresh. It was only 7.95. We left there and stopped at Alaha Tower for shopping. They had good deals. Apparently May is off season and everything was on sale or they would cut you a deal without even asking. We went back to the room and changed for dinner. We walked over to Dukes and had another great meal. Make sure you get the Hula pie for dessert. We shared it with four people and there was plenty. Walked back and shopped on the way home.

Day 6:

We got up early again and drove east to the Macadamian Nut Farm across the street from the Kualoa Ranch.We didn't tour the ranch but it will definetly be on my list next visit. The nut farm has a tour for $15.00 and it was a highlight of our trip. They do a really good job. It was very funny and interesting. We left there and headed for the North shore stopping at Dole Pineapple Factory and lunch at a shrimp truck. We went back and ate at the Waimia(?) diner across from Hilton Hawaii Village. Good, inexpensive place to eat. Walked back and shopped on the way.

Day 7

We hung out at Waikiki Beach. Walked over to Duke's to listen to live music and ate at the bar. The fish tacos were amazing! We had a few drinks and the walked over to Marguaritaville and had a few more. Jimmy Buffet grew up in my hometown so we always make a point to stop at any Margaritaville when possible.

Day 7

We went back to the diner for all you can eat coconut pancakes YUM!!!We hung out at the beach again and asked for a late check out. We went back to Dukes for some more fish tacos and then we went back and packed. We had to turn the rental car in at 4. Our plane didn't leave till 9 pm. I won't bore you with the exciting details of our journey home(sarcasim). Overall it was an amazing trip and I can't wait to go back. It was my daughter's first trip to Hawaii and she is now in love with the place and can't wait to return. With all that being said there are two things I feel I must share. Stay on the main beach road while walking at night. We always felt safe but one night we thought we would take a short cut and ended uo in a sketchy area. It was by the Princess Koulianna? and the Ohana East. There were lots of streetwalkers asking for "dates" Just be careful to stay on the beach road. The other thing was that I noticed a lot more homeless people in this trip. In the Waikiki area. No one bothered us but it is a problem there. We met some people at Duke's and they told us they talked to a homeless person and he told them he was from Portland and he was homeless there too but the city of Portland gave him a free ticket to Honolulu to leave Portland. I just find that very disturbing if it is true.I guess at least he is out of the cold weather. I hope you find this report helpful. I am looking up airfares for my next trip!!

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Waikiki Banyan
Waikiki Banyan
548 Reviews
Oahu, HI
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,274 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua Beach Park
Kailua Beach Park
2,574 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
159 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Aloha Stadium
Aloha Stadium
217 Reviews
Oahu, HI
International Market Place
International Market...
366 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Hanauma Bay Tours
Hanauma Bay Tours
1,154 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kualoa
Kualoa
3,310 Reviews
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,037 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki Beach
Waikiki Beach
14,523 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
88 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

I just notice I put Day 7 twice and saw a few typos. Please forgive me...still jetlagged!!!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Nice report - glad your daughter got you fishing and you got hooked up :)

"Wailana" is the coffee shop by HHV.

Nico's Pier 38 is a great lunch spot!

Mentioned in this post
Wailana Coffee House
Wailana Coffee House
1,870 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
151 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for the great report!!....very helpful! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

I can't wait until our trip next month. We'll be staying at the HHV!

Alhambra, California
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

nice trip report! we'll be staying at the banyan in august and our flight back home is at 9pm as well.you mentioned you asked for a late check out, how much did they charge extra for that? which floor was your condo located on? how was the view from there.we are also planning on buying some groceries, like snacks and drinks to take with us on our daily outings and breakfast for the week.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Great report. I'll have my family try out Nico's. Thanks.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,343 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

Nice trip report.

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

Thank you for your report. It sounds like you had a great time. You are now officially "hooked"...you are looking up airfares!! Welcome to the club!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
88 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report

Momwithgreatboss,

We stayed on the 32nd floor. 3212 GREAT views. You can stay until 2:00 free of charge if the unit isn't booked again. You can stay till 6 for a charge of $50.00. There is a grocery store right behind the building. Also, they have a nice area with barbeque grills, pool,tennis courts,playground, basketball court, two hot tubs and a snack bar on the sixth floor. There is coffee shop and a mini mart on the lobby floor. The coffe shop has interent for $2.50 for 15 minutes. Nice if you need to read emails or check your flight. Hope this helps.

PA
Level Contributor
399 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for your report. How old do kids need to be to fish on the Magic? Thanks.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,429 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report

Nice trip report!