We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery shopping in Hawaii for Australians

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
679 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery shopping in Hawaii for Australians

I am sure all our USA travellers know this, but when you go into the grocery stores there (Safeway etc) you can join their shopping program which saves LOTS of money!!!!

Just sign up at the service desk and they will give you a card.

Then, show that card each time you shop in the store.

In some cases, our shopping bill was half what it would have been without it!

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
397 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery shopping in Hawaii for Australians

Thanks for the tip! My 4 kids are dying to check out the supermarkets there so they can try out all those products we see on American shows like "Twinkies", "Poptarts", "Captain Crunch" etc. I know it's pathetic of them but maybe it works the other way with travellers wanting to try out Tim Tams and Caramello Koalas here!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery shopping in Hawaii for Australians

I think my very favorite thing in Sydney was the grocery store!! Ohhhh, cherry ripe, that amazing passionfruit yogurt, lemongrass pepper chips - oh my. My kids still talk about kinder surprise, oh don't forget about starburst babies.

OK - we really did love everything about oz - but the groceries were the best!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,884 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery shopping in Hawaii for Australians

Oh, search...I am cracking up! PULEASE don't allow them them all of those nasty things in one day! They will be bouncing off the walls! Thanks for my giggle of the day! My kids trips to Oz involved a taste for beer! Go figure!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,299 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery shopping in Hawaii for Australians

I got hooked on Lift while in Australia. There's no all-lemon soft drink available here.

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
397 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery shopping in Hawaii for Australians

LOL isn't it funny how the little things we take for granted as being "no big deal" can be exciting for others! I guess that's one of the many things that make international travel so interesting for us all.... it's not just the culture, language, scenary but the groceries too!

Sydney,NSW
Level Contributor
361 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery shopping in Hawaii for Australians

My kids also loved trying all the American food and candy that we see on TV :) It's such a novelty and when my husband travels to the USA for work, he has to bring back loads of candy and things.

Ooooh starbust babies are great KailuaMom. I have to agree with you there :) I had some just yesterday.

I too noticed that if you sign up to Safeway it saves you a lot of money. Will be doing that next time for sure. We were running short of time and didn't get a chance last trip.

Travelbugtoo, what Safeway did you go to?

We will be staying for 2 and a half weeks next time so we will definitely want to stock up.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
679 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery shopping in Hawaii for Australians

Carlandfamily,

We stayed at the Hyatt and I did a google map search and found the nearest one......about a fifteen minute walk

And another tip for Aussies (again, USA residents are used to this), get the Sunday paper delivered in your hotel.

And cut out the coupons.

They had a 'buy 8 packets for $10' at Safeway for PopTarts.........normally $3 each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wish I had bought a heap more!!!!

Sydney,NSW
Level Contributor
361 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery shopping in Hawaii for Australians

Yeah I heard they have one closer to Waikiki now, that wasn't open when we were there. We rented a car and drove all over the Island which was great...we found a Safeway over in Kaneohe. Was huge!

Thanks for all the tips. I can't wait to get back there...I have been 8 times and I am still hooked :)

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,884 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery shopping in Hawaii for Australians

OH SWEET JESUS!!! Poptarts?! I will continue to follow THIS thread! You guys are cracking me up! And yes I still have half a jar of vegimite in my panty from our Aussie exchange students! A little crusty cuz no one will eat it...but a nice reminder of great times with great kids! Enjoy Hawaii!

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
679 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grocery shopping in Hawaii for Australians

Truely, if I had an OUNCE of sense in my head, I would have bought a suitcase home full of pop tarts and made an absolute fortune by selling them here!!!

They are disgusting, but 'kids' seem to LOVE them!

And Twizzlers!!

And Hershey Kisses

And Reese cups

And Kool Aid

Oh, I could go on and on.

And that is just what my "kids" bought!!!

I went crazy too!!!!