We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

long haul flights

London, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
long haul flights

hi everyone can anypne tell me if you are allowed a seditive on the flight im absolutly terrified of flying and it has been my life long dream to go to hawaii

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
327 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: long haul flights

I'm not sure but I can't see why you can't take a prescribed medication during the flight

New Zealand
Level Contributor
712 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: long haul flights

Go see your doctor, I take sleeping tablets - i get on the plane take a pill and the next thing i know i am off the plane! However, I did try them before I left home as some tablet last longer than others and some take longer to put you to sleep. Enjoy your holiday.

London, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: long haul flights

i will thanks i will be flying from the london england so it would be quiet a long flight

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: long haul flights

I too am a nervous flyer. My doctor prescribed a medication that calms me but doesn't knock me out. My last flight was 10 1/2 hours non stop from NYC to HNL and I did just fine.

Some security personnel may require that your medication be in the original bottle with its prescription label.

Check with your doctor regarding medications that might help you and not interfer with what ever else you are taking. Ask about whether or not you can have alcohol with the medication he prescribes.

Wellington
Level Contributor
105 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: long haul flights

Hi - I've flown a lot with small kids (3 trips to UK in 8 years) and sedate the lot of us! Valligan for the kids and temazipan (sp?) for me. Means we all get some sleep, keeps the kids (when they were pre-schoolers) from getting restless and annoying everyone else AND def cuts down jetlag if you are arriving in the morning. See your friendly GP and tell him/her the problem and they should be fine. Best of luck. Oh and my GP (when asked) about should I drink with sedative merely replied 'well it will make it work a lot faster' (which it did...:-)

Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: long haul flights

We just returned home and i had prescription medicine with me in my handbag (Murelax) for my fear of flying which just takes the edge off and dosent make you sleepy or impaire your judgement. I also had Panadol tablets and liquid for the rest. I showed them and they said medicines are allowed but prescription medicine must be in its original packaging with your name on it. I chose not to take anything on the flight home and i was fine.

Enjoy your flight and dont think of the worst.

Nikki

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: long haul flights

If you do take something to calm you down, make sure it isnt too strong. You will have to change plans somewhere on the west coast and you will need to be alert for that.

London, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: long haul flights

thank you all for your replies you have all been a great help xxx

9. Re: long haul flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:35 am, October 13, 2009