We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report advice to Aussies

Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report advice to Aussies

Our family of 4 just returned from 10 night stay at the Aqua Waikiki Wave. We chose to have the breakfast vouchers at the hotel and then have a late lunch which kept us going all day and would just need snacks in the evening. Our budget was $100 per day and we were well under it. You could easily get a meal at either Maccas, Hungry Jacks, Jack in the box, etc a meal for all of us was about $7 each. We also ate $8.95 for lunch or $11.95 dinner all you can eat at Smorgys. We also treated ouselves to The Cheesecake factory a few times and a few other cheaper restaurants. If you buy take away you dont have to leave tips and if you buy bread, margarine,cheese,ham and make sandwiches in your room or milk and cereal you can save money like we did. We also took The bus everywhere because it was cheaper, the trolley was $2 per person and the bus was $2 for adults my 14yr old was $1 and my 4yr old free. We didnt enjoy KFC it tasted different there.

The pizza hut/Taco Bill at the Ala Moana center was excellent value for money and we went there several times to eat.

We shopped at the Food Pantry and Abc stores (look out for the managers specials).

Nikki

Mentioned in this post
The Laylow, Autograph Collection
The Laylow, Autograph...
339 Reviews
Oahu, HI
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,275 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Center
Ala Moana Center
2,591 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Food Pantry
Food Pantry
387 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report advice to Aussies

Great advice for us Aussies Nikki!Thanks! Especially given the dollar situation-I guess every dollar counts.....Did you find things to be quite expensive given the conversion rate?

3 more sleeps till we leave & can't wait!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report advice to Aussies

Hi Nikki

You must have been there at the same time as me! Another good idea would be Wal Mart they are cheaper in many ways. Full report to come!!

Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report advice to Aussies

We converted our money several months ago when it was much higher but having said that we found things to be so much cheaper. OzJohn you are right Wal Mart is cheap and we found it so different to here as you can buy food,alcohol,medicines and clothes all in the one store, so great and convenient. We were lucky enough to get up to 60% off with the Macys specials and the 11% discount card. We bought Levi jeans for $30US which are over $100 here in Oz and even if they are not on special they are still so much cheaper. Ck jeans were $40, Ck & DKNY tops we bought so many for about $20 each on special. I found Make-up cheap especially Revlon,Mac,Lancome. Dont buy perfume at the Aussie duty free wait till you get there and buy. We all bought Nike Shox runners for $70 which sell for approx $200 here. I must say we were lucky because they had Veterans Day sales. If you need Xmas presents for kids go to the Disney store at Ala Moana. It is worth going to Hawaii for the shopping alone if you know your brands and the prices here.

Happy Shopping to all, i hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Nikki

Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,666 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Sydney Aust.
Level Contributor
413 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report advice to Aussies

Hi Nikki

I remember you posting the question about whether to lock or unlock your bags, it sounds like you had a great holiday but I am now wondering what you decided to do with your bags, did you use locks, if so which ones and what was your experience going through Security either way?

Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report advice to Aussies

Regarding locks on luggage we all had TSA locks which did not get opened because the light didnt go on. We can only say that once we arrived in Honolulu we received excellent service by all,to us they are much kinder and very helpful. We got off the plane and were put on a bus and taken elsewhere where we picked up our luggage and taken through customs. There were staff all over the place helping out. I wish i could say the same here in Oz,when we got off the plane in Sydney late on Saturday night there was no one around in the luggage collection area, everybody had taken their luggage and gone through and we were left waiting for our stroller to come out with another couple for about 30mins which after walking around discovered that we had to pick it up elsewhere. We almost missed our next flight to Melbourne. I know Hawaii relies on tourism but we can read English and still had trouble getting around Sydney airport. When you get to Hawaii you will notice the difference in the service you get everywhere there. We were very impressed.

Enjoy your holidays

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Sydney Aust.
Level Contributor
413 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report advice to Aussies

Hi Nikki

Glad to here that everything went smoothly, we also had no problems whatsoever when we went earlier this year. We thought that maybe we had just been lucky to have got through so quickly, there were plenty of Security staff to deal with the number of passengers and our bags went untouched as well even though we didn't have the TSA Locks.

Must agree going through Customs at Sydney Airport is always a trial, maybe they like to make you cue so they have time to observe any nervous looking people, trying to smuggle something in!

Just a thought.

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report advice to Aussies

Hi Lo'H,

One sure way of testing the nervousness of most

passengers at the Macot Processing Emporium is to

walk the Super Sniffer Dogs up and down the queue

I got into trouble when I patted the Super Dog.

Such is Life..Good luck from NoelinOZ...

Sydney Aust.
Level Contributor
413 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report advice to Aussies

Hi Noelinoz,

Don't worry my brother suffered the same fate at an airport overseas, those dogs are just so damm cute it's hard to resist the urge to give them a pat.

9. Re: Trip Report advice to Aussies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 pm, October 12, 2009
;