We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we really need a rental car?

Beavercreek, OH
Level Contributor
189 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Do we really need a rental car?

We are going on my drean vacation to Waikiki Sept 23 and thinking about not renting a car fro at least 1/2 our stay. Does anyone know if we stay at the Hawiian Village is public transpotation close. We have 2 small kids (3 and 1) we will have a small fold up stroller are they allowed on the public transpotation?

Also does anyone know what is the law on kids in car seats in taxis?

thanks

jen

Best Seller
Turtle Canyon Snorkel Cruise by...
121 reviews
from $96.75*
Best Seller
Oahu Grand Circle Island Day Tour...
666 reviews
from $80.31*
Best Seller
Pearl Harbor Tour From Honolulu
178 reviews
from $46.00*
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we really need a rental car?

A car gives you freedom. With 2 small kids, they could sleep while you drove. I would rent a car. But if you decide not to, public transportation is very close.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
54 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we really need a rental car?

Aloha Jen,

Depending on what you want to do you may want to take a car for at least one day. While you can get a glimpse of the island staying in the immediate vicinity, you'll really miss seeing other parts of the island that are less contrived.

Pick up the guide books which will be at the HHV and take advantage of the discount coupons.

Rent a car in Waikiki, Enterprise will pick you up, early in the a.m. and cruise to the North Shore and then continue to skirt along the ocean around the island. Our small towns and local people are what gives Hawaii it's aloha and uniqueness. Drop the car off at the end of your eventful day and save the $16.00 per day parking charge at the HHV.

"The Bus" that is what it is named, allows for strollers so worries there. If you are going to the Arizona Memorial take one of the van tours. Most allow you a very reasonable period of extra time to walk a short distance to the Aloha Stadium Flea Market, which is open Wed, Sat and Sundays. It gets hot, so go EARLY. "The Bus" is copnvenient and inexpensive, but it can eat up far too much of your precious vacation time unless you are remaining in the Waikiki/Honolulu area. Have a great time in our island paradise. Aloha

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we really need a rental car?

We just got back last week and spent much of our time there with friends who have 2 small boys (2 and 7 mos). We did take the bus to the swap meet at the stadium, but we took a shuttle back as the bus ride was at least an hour and the boys got pretty ansy. You can catch the bus right outside of the HHV. If you are planning on spending much time in the heart of Waikiki, I would consider a double stroller or a small stroller for each kid. It is a lot of kid steps from HHV to most of the rest of Waikiki as the military hotel, Hale Koa, and the military park, Fort Derussy, are between HHV and everything else. We found ourselves carrying even our 6 year old back from dinner each night to the HHV when we stayed there last October. You will like the beach at the HHV as it is calm and roomy...great for small kids. There's also a playground over in Fort Derussy (next to HHV) that you kids might enjoy. I don't know about the laws on kids in car seats in taxis as my girl friend brought her car seats with her. Won't you have yours on the plane? If not, you might want to reconsider this too. It is a long plane ride home, often overnight, and they might need them for sleeping. It was a real pain for my friend to get them on and off each plane, but I don't think the flights would have been very peaceful if she hadn't had them.

Good luck and have fun!

Gina

Beavercreek, OH
Level Contributor
189 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we really need a rental car?

Thanks for the info.

We are taking the car seats but we are planning on checking them. That way the kids have more room on the plane to play in thiere seats.

I do likr your douple stroller idea. We migh bring one of the grandmas extra strollers. thanks

jen

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we really need a rental car?

re the Bus

It stops right if front of the HHV especially if riding further

into Waikiki.

Strollers unlike some cities perhaps they like them to

be folded up prior to boarding.

Crowded at times but they come by quick enough youall

could let one pass and then catch the emptier bus.

to check out the Windward Side or Northshore a car

might be nice. for 1 -2 days tops.

but otherwise THEBUS works JUST FINE

The price of gas is almost $2.75 a gallon some other

islands are even higher. http://www.khnl.com

has more data.

enjoy you stay

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we really need a rental car?

I encourage everyone who has never been to Oahu to rent a car for at least a couple of days.

I went for the first time last year (and have since been back) and I always rent a car. For some reason I pictured something totally different than what Honolulu and Waikiki was. I was startled and disappointed at first.

The next day we set out in our jeep and it was on the east side of the island that I found the true Aloha spirit of Oahu. Don't miss out. With two little ones, the Bus may be a little much to explore other parts of the island.

If budget is an issue, just rent the car for 1 or 2 days. Waikiki had enterprise, alamo and budget all in the area.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do we really need a rental car?

My wife and I have rented a car for at least two days both times we visited, and will probably do so next time. One would in ten days on Oahu you would see everything. We loved the drive along the windward side going by Laie and the rain atop the mountains. The roadside farmer stands are great for fresh fruit, and North shore you don't want to miss. Plus you can take a glidder ride from Dillingham awesome colors.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do we really need a rental car?

My wife and I have rented a car for at least two days both times we visited, and will probably do so next time. One would in ten days on Oahu you would see everything. We loved the drive along the windward side going by Laie and the rain atop the mountains. The roadside farmer stands are great for fresh fruit, and North shore you don't want to miss. Plus you can take a glidder ride from Dillingham awesome colors.

Chagrin Falls, OH
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Do we really need a rental car?

This doesn't answer the rental car/taxi car seat question, but...as far as you checking your car seats--DON'T!!! I have taken my kids (now 5 and 3yrs) on planes several times and I would encourage you STRONGLY to bring your car seats on the plane if you can handle it. I KNOW it's a pain in the rear to carry them through the airport, but it's SO worth it! They should help you at security--just give yourself plenty of time.

It's a REALLY long flight and your little ones are probably going to want to sleep at some point. If they've never been on a plane before (even if they have) it'll give them some comfort to be in that seat they're used to travelling in. There was one time I was travelling by myself with the kids, and I just couldn't carry both seats. My (at the time) 3 year old was all over the place and he really had a hard time settling down. --Again, please re-consider checking their seats--it'll make your plane ride SOOOO much better.

Have a great trip! My husband and I will be there end of Sept. too!