We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Ferry

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
Maui Ferry

Hi all,

I am going to Honolulu for 6 days and very interested in going on the ferry to Maui , just for the day.I know its a big day, but have already paid for accomodation in Waikiki and have seen Maui, just wondering if its worth the trip, scenery wise and sea sickness .Thanks guys.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
26,348 posts
59 reviews
23 helpful votes
1. Re: Maui Ferry

With only 6 days I don't think you have the time to spare. If you must see Maui, going on the ferry is not the way to do it. Fly. Quicker and easier. Either way you're going to have to rent a car. There's little in the way of public transport, and what there is is expensive.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
36 reviews
50 helpful votes
2. Re: Maui Ferry

I agree. Six days is not a lot of time to spend in Hawaii, especially since your 1st and last days will be tied up with travel. Plus, once you get to Maui, grab a rental car, grab a bite...you won't have that much time to relax and enjoy the island. I would say, stay exclusively on Oahu for this trip. Then, next time...stay a few weeks and you can visit 2 islands.

Honolulu, Hawaii
1 post
1 review
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Maui Ferry

the ferry ride is more than 3 hours and can be very rough. we took the early ferry that left honolulu at 6am, and most people were sleeping. there was a high wind advisory that day, so it was really rough. many people got sick. our trip back was pretty smooth. it all depends on the weather.

of the three hours, i would say that there is a view for less an hour or less. for a large portion of it, there is nothing but ocean. you may be able to see dolphins or other sea life passing by, but it's not guaranteed.

it might be better to book boat tours from honolulu and maui separately and fly in between the two islands.

if you really want to ride the ferry, you might consider riding one way and flying back. a round-trip would take an entire day in itself riding the ferry alone.

Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
29 reviews
29 helpful votes
4. Re: Maui Ferry

Sounds like a catamaran ride on the northshore or Waianae maybe more enjoyable.

5. Re: Maui Ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, October 11, 2009