We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping

Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
shopping

Several friends of ours that have been on holiday to America have come back home with lots of clothes and make-up, perfumes, runners which were so cheap compared to the Aussie prices. Is it the same in Hawaii? Are there factory outlets or is it more there because its not part of the mainland. How does the prices in Hawaii compare to New York or the other main cities?

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
San Diego
Level Contributor
974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: shopping

Prices of things in department stores are the same nationwide. (e.x. a price of Estee Lauder lipstick is same in HI or mainland, in department stores) what's different is the sales tax. Sales tax varies by state/ county, so the total price would come out cheaper than buying the same exact item in California, or NYC. If you do decide to come, buy the make-up and fragrance items at the Duty Free shops at the airport, or the DFC in Waikiki. You might get lucky and find your shade cheaper than department stores, tax free.

There is a big outlet mall, in Waileke. You'll need to have a rental car or take a shuttle there from Waikiki, but if you want name brand items at the outlet price (may not be the latest season items but it's relatively cheaper), that's the place to go.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Newcastle, NSW...
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: shopping

Have recently returned from Hawaii. I can only vouch for some of the clothing like the surf brands. They are cheaper than in here in Oz. Eg i bought a roxy jumper for $40US but it would have been at least $70AUS. Surf/Skate brand shirts and shorts were cheaper for men and women. I also got a pair of nikes which haven't priced yet, but i got them for $110 but I am sure they would have been more than that here.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,670 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shopping

Did someone say "shopping?" First - please do a search on this forum. A few months ago there was a long and very information post.

Remember: shopping is a sport. It takes skill and insight ... and training.

First -- I have never been to the Waikele Outlet Mall, but they have a sister mall in my area. Prices are OK. A few good bargains. Great place to buy shoes. Often you can do better at Macy's.

www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp…

Speaking of Macy's - the Macy's at the Ala Moana Shopping Center is WONDERFUL. Service and quality is excellent. Large store. They have lots of sales ... and, it is worth checking the newspaper before you go for coupons that reduce the sale prices. And check with your concierge, as Macy's is known for leaving discount coupons at the nicer hotels. It has been posed on TA that if you go to customer service at Macy's and let them know you are from a different country ... often they have discount coupons for you. And it would be a good opportunity to talk with them about shipping. I LOVE their shipping services. Less to carry around or pack. FYI - Macy's has an incredible collection of aloha shirts, major designers, most are island-based. It's practically the whole bottom floor. I have gotten GREAT deals there and so much to choose from. Actually, for a nation-wide company, Macy's carries alot of island-made products. Smart.

The Ala Moana Shopping Center in general is incredible. A vast variety of shops, including a Japanese department store and a new Nordstrom (a more expensive Macy's IMHO). "Fast" food and restaurant services are also excellent. It's easy to catch The Bus from Waikiki to the Ala Moana Shopping Center, but often you need a taxi to get back to your hotel with all the stuff you buy.

http://www.alamoanacenter.com/

Some posters like Ross Dress for Less. They are pretty junky on the Mainland. May be better on Oahu.

There are designer shops galore on Waikiki ... no bargains there.

An earlier poster mentioned sales tax - and that is a consideration when shopping the in states. Hawaii does not have a sales tax, but the businesses are taxed instead. Sales tax range widely on the Mainland and from county to county in California. I think the sales tax base in California is about 6.75% (or close). Counties can add on to that for certain services ... and I think San Francisco leads the state with a whopping 8.5%. This is much higher than where I live, thankfully.

So have a great time! We are going to Honolulu during the second week in December. I've never Christmas shopped there before, and I am really looking forward to exercising my Macy's card.

Mentioned in this post
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,666 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shopping

Shopping in Australia was similar prices to the UK when I went (cheaper for surf brands though) and yes Hawaii is much cheaper than both. Its about half the price for everything especially as the dollar is so weak so take advantage.

Take a near empty suitcase to bring back your purchases in, youll need it! We had to buy one each!

I spent about $100 on clothing that would have cost me about $300 here.

I got 3 pairs of jeans which were $14 each. I could not believe it. I also saw a dress that was a best seller here, which cost £45($90), and was selling there in a sale for I think $15! And previously it was like $30 or something.

Also American brands like Benefit make up is about 2/3 of the price.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,670 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shopping

Claire -- we take a soft-sided duffle bag and roll it up in our suitcase. We use it to bring goodies home. Given that the airlines are charging for baggage now, it might work better than a suitcase.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shopping

Branded items are much cheaper than here in Australia, although I do find some items more expensive in Hawaii than in mainland USA and there is not quite as much choice (no Bath & Body works store or Victorias secret etc). The Waikele Outlet is quite good but again no where near as big as the outlets on the mainland (50 stores compared to up to 250 stores at Woodbury Common in NY). The Coach outlet store is a good one though and there are some very good bargains (Coach in the regular stores is 20% dearer in Hawaii than on the mainland which they say is because of transportation).

American branded cosmetics such as Estee Lauder and Clinique are fantastic buys. The Clinique moisturiser that I use is A$78 and cost US$23 in Macys, Sephora etc. Mac & Bobbi Brown cosmetics are also a lot cheaper.

As already suggested definetly get your 11% discount card from Macys (excludes cosmetics & fragrance), even if items are on sale you will still get the additional 11%. You can also pick up some good buys at the Ward Centres, particularly at Nordstrom Rack (nordstroms outlet store).

Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shopping

Meant to add, although Hawaii may not have a 'sales tax' as such it does have an excise tax of just over 4% which will be added to your total at the cash register.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shopping

Hi

Heres a ggod link to look at

www.macys.com/store/about/visitor/index.jsp

It gives 11% discount!!

JOHN

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,670 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: shopping

John -- it's good to see that in black and white! Macy's is smart ...

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: shopping

If you have coupons for Macy's that are useable on single items but can be re-used the Macy's cashiers will happily ring up every single item you buy seperately, giving you the discount on each item. Just ask.

I only shop Macy's during sales days. I've saved as much as 75%, I think, by using coupons during sales and shopping. Coupons are usually on the back page of the first section of the Honolulu Advertiser on Wednesdays, sometimes other days. Macy's often has super-sale hours during those sales days where you get an even higher percentage off the price.

Oh what fun, lol! ;-D

We have a small but beautifully-run Macy's in my town of Kailua that I just love. Not the selection at Ala Moana, of course, but it reminds me of the wonderful small department stores of long ago. Everything neat and tidy, very helpful personnel. Lovely.

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,666 Reviews
Oahu, HI