We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report (?)

Portland
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report (?)

Today is my 12th day back from a solo trip to Waikiki, and I have yet to sit down and write my report. I had an absolutely WONDERFUL time and really want to share, but, I've had my hands full. The day after I returned, my brand new, bouncing, bundle of joy was ready to come home. (I'm refering to the furry 4-legged variety)

To set the scene, my only goals for this trip were, snorkeling, shopping, and eating. I made a vow to only eat things I wouldn't normally find at home and, since this was my 6th trip to Hawaii, not to worry about shopping for souveniers (sp?) for everyone OR to buy anything that I would just end up with at home and wonder "why the heck did I buy this, and where am I going to put it now?"

I'm going to try and get this written between potty breaks, feeding, and running around saying "no, no, don't chew that"

For those of you who'd rather not wait for the written version, you can see my photos at

…snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/…79871213 For those of you who'd like to see what's been keeping me so busy go to …snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/…79871213

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
589 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report (?)

Hi! Loved looking at your pics of Honolulu! We are going Xmas week and seeing them makes me even more excited! Thanks and Aloha!

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Aloha Hawaii Tours
Aloha Hawaii Tours
1,188 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report (?)

Congrats on getting your furry friend.

Great pics; you did a great job with the underwater ones. I know how difficult they are -- the fish just won't stay still and pose for us. Ha ha. We have quite a few pics of coral and sand because the fish just swam out of view. Thank goodness for digital camera which we could delete those pics.

Portland
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report (?)

I'm up monday night at 10pm...have to be to work at midnight. I worked until 5am (not sure if I got anything done or not) ran home, grabbed my suitcase, and was at the airport at 6:30. After checking in, I decide to start with the eating portion of my vacation. Florentine eggs benedict. (You can pretty much make any meal great if it's got hollandaise sauce) Once again, Hawaiian Air proves to be a great way to go, and in as little time as it takes to have a snack, then lunch, watch a movie, and put my shoes back on, we're there.

I arrive at my hotel around noon (too early to check in) drop off my luggage, and start with the sightseeing. I start by wandering through the International Marketplace. I really love it here. I don't usually buy anything, I just love the vibe. I then make my way up to Coconut Willys. (Located just to the left of the waterfall) Due to the pancreatitus I had last year, I can no longer drink too much. My doctor DID say however, that I could have a drink now and then. I order a Wet Willy (coconut rum, guava juice,pinapple juice & 7-up) hello coconut rum....did you miss me? While I'm there an elderly gentleman sits next to me and says, "you know, the first time I was ever in here was back in '69 and I was in the service." I respond, "well, that's funny...the first time I was in here was just a year and a half ago, and it was full of young men in the service." He looks around..reliving some old memories, and says, "it really hasn't changed much at all." I smile, "and, sometimes isn't that nice to see?" He smiles, "indeed it is."

Next stop Outrigger Reef. I want to see what they've put up in place of the old Aloha Lounge/Chiefs Hut restaurant. I decide to go by way of Lewers, which was under massive reconstruction last time I was there. WOW!!! What a change! This whole street looks just beautiful. I do a little window shopping along the way, until I reach the Outrigger. Sadly, the Chiefs Hut is currently just an empty shell, and the Aloha Lounge is nothing more than a sitting area....don't get me wrong, it's a nice sitting area, but, if I'm going to sit, I prefer to do it on the beach, or, in front of a bar. I walk back toward my hotel (the Waikiki Circle) via the beach and enjoy the wonderful views. I still have about an hour before my room will be ready, so, I head to Tikis Grill and Bar for lunch. Fish Tacos. They were delicious!! Grilled fish, sauteed maui onions, tomatos, guacamole...Yum! I've been up since ten the night before, so, by the time I check into my room (3pm hawaii time) I'm really ready for a nap. Around 9 o'clock that night, I go down to the beach and sit in the sand, just happy to do no more than exist. As the few others on the beach walk by, I smile at them, they smile back at me...we're all happy to be here. Before I head back to my room for the night, I stop and pick up some spam musubi...a first for me. I have to say, this is a great little snack, and for under $2 too! I fall asleep that night before I'm even able to finish saying my prayers of thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Aloha Hawaii Tours
Aloha Hawaii Tours
1,188 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Tiki's Grill & Bar
Tiki's Grill & Bar
3,917 Reviews
Oahu, HI
New Jersey
Level Contributor
132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report (?)

Love your report so far and thank you for sharing your beautiful pics!

Portland
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report (?)

I'm up early. Nothing's open yet, so, I just take a nice walk and enjoy the beautiful ocean view. I'm at Cheeseburger in Paradise as soon as they open, and decide to try the macadamia nut pancakes. (Another first for me) Before I can use my Mrs Butterworth, the waitress shows up with some coconut syrup....yyuuuummmmmm...I did my best, but, wasn't able to finish it all. It could be I was just full, or it could be that the view from my table was a window looking directly in the the 24 hour fitness gym. (I don't need this kind of pressure on vacation) :)

I stop at the activities desk at my hotel and ask about the best way to go to Hanauma Bay. The woman at the desk tells me if I don't feel like taking an actual tour bus, I can just catch the #22 bus on my own. She draws me a little map to the bus stop and says, "you can't miss it...it's right in front of the ABC store." (Oh, how we both laugh at that) What I didn't know was, this bus only runs once an hour. What I ALSO didn't know was that the bus had stopped here at 8:07 am....I arrived on the scene at 8:15am. After 20 min or so, I start feeling a little nervous...after 30 min, I start feeling a little aggravated...there are others starting to show up with their swim and snorkel gear, so, I must be in the right spot. (The ABC store is right there too) There's an asian couple waiting with their small son and the husband asks if I'll take their picture. After I do he says, "this my wife first time to take bus....vehdy excited...vehdy,vehdy excited." I decide to stop being aggrivated and get vehdy excited instead.

Hanauma Bay is a beautiful area both at the park/picnic area and the beach down below. The reefs were disappointing as they were bland and colorless (I'm assuming from years of tourist abuse) but, there were definatly a lot of different fish to see. Sadly, you won't really know it from my pictures. Between the quickness of the fish and the motion of the ocean, getting a good shot is much easier said than done. I made it back to Waikiki around 1pm. For $2 bus fare out, $5 park admission,and $2 bus fare back, I can honestly say, this was one of the nicest times I think I've ever had for under ten bucks.

Mentioned in this post
Cheeseburger In Paradise
Cheeseburger In Paradise
3,033 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hanauma Bay Tours
Hanauma Bay Tours
1,153 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,254 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report (?)

Oh, pugs are so cute!

Enjoying your report. Hope you write for a living as your style is wonderful.

Portland
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report (?)

Once I've gotten back to my room and showered up, I realize I'm FAMISHED. A morning of snorkeling and lounging on the beach has burned off my entire stack of pancakes. I kind of want sushi, but, I know I'm hungier than that....maybe steak? I decide Dukes will be the best place to look for lunch. It doesn't take long to decide I'm going to need both ahi sashimi AND teryaki steak. A wonderful lunch, a wonderful view, and a wonderful waitress make me not decide not to wait for bedtime to send up todays prayer of thanks. As I'm finishing the last bite, I hear the couple seated behind me order the Hula Pie...oh, if only I had the room. Afterward, I walk off the pain with some light shopping. I look in a lot of different stores, but it's usually the ABC stores that get my $$. Coconut/Mango scented shower gel and lotion and some of the macadamia nut caramel corn are at the top of todays list. Then, it's back to Coconut Willys for a drink. As I'm passing all the little jewelry kiosks, a necklace that looks like the $8,000 Tahitian pearl necklace that I fell in love with in Maui last fall catches my eye. I stop to look....Now, I didn't just fall off the tourist truck yesterday...I KNOW that they're not actually selling real tahitian pearl necklaces in the middle of the International Marketplace, but, still...it's beautiful. The woman tells me it's mother of pearl. It's $280.00...I tell her I'll think about it. She stops me and says, "you don't have to pay whole price...I give you very best deal" She pushes a few buttons on her calculator and comes up with the "best deal" price of $56. Ok, this necklace (at that price) may end up turning my neck a funny color, but, it really does look just like the real one I fell in love with, and I figure if it makes me that happy just to be looking at it, then, it must be worth $56. I skip on up to the bar and enjoy my drink while chatting with a father and son newly arrived from australia. After that it's time for a much needed nap, and I fall asleep staring out at my beautiful as ever ocean view.

I wake up just in time to run a brush through my hair and get to the park across the street for the free hula show. After some more shopping at 3 or 4 ABC stores, I call it a day. I'm not really hungry, so I only eat one whole bag of my mac nut caramel corn before bed. I get up twice to try on my new necklace in front of the mirror....it looks fabulous combined with my sponge bob jammies. :)

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Portland
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report (?)

Again, I wake up early. I've booked a snorkel/sail trip for 8am with the Outrigger Reef Catamaran. I decide I want something small for breakfast before I go, and what I'd really like is another spam musubi, but, the ABC stores are not yet open. (Oh the horror!) I wander over to a coffee shop in the Hyatt, and find something that looks appetizing. A spam & egg roll. I order one of those and an absolutely mouth watering looking piece of mango mousse cake to put in my fridge to enjoy upon my return. I take my little breakfast sandwhich over to one of the tables in the Hyatts lobby (in front of the waterfall) It's quite good...the bread surprised me by being very sweet. A nice compliment to the egg and spam (which I've never eaten before, but, am now starting to really like) The mango mousse cake, by the way, never stood a chance of making it back to my room...it was delicious too.

Off to snorkel. The catamaran went about 2 miles off shore. The water was both calm and clear, and as soon as I put my face in the water, I saw dozens of fish. This is the way to go! I also got to see my first turtle!! Yea!! He was just hanging out getting cleaned. There were only 11 of us on todays cruise, and we all just floated quietly and checked him out. After a few minutes, he swam up and checked all of us out, then went back to his cleaning session. Once we were all back up on the boat, he came to the surface and checked us all out again. A very cool experience and something I would definately do again.

After we returned, I decided to look for a bite to eat....not only does spending the morning swimming wear me out and work up my appetite, but, I swallowed one good mouthfull of seawater, so, I'm a bit nauseous. Nothing a plate full of hashbrowns can't cure. As I'm walking down Lewers, I find a resaurant that has crab cake eggs benedict on the menu. Score!! I work this meal off by walking the whole ten minute stretch back to my hotel. Whew! Time for a nap.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,309 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report (?)

Isn't it wonderful how that mac nut caramel corn comes in the handy single-serving package?

Portland
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report (?)

pzp-even more wonderful that those handy single serve packages come in handy 3-pack sets!!