We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luaus - what do you wear?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
423 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Luaus - what do you wear?

I've been before. Wanted to hear what others wear to the luaus. Husband and I will be wearing matching Aloha attire (SO touristy, I know).

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
520 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luaus - what do you wear?

The prettiest aloha print I have found on each trip...Going to a luau is a tourist activity anyway-all the kamaina I know cringe when they have to go with visitors--but aloha outfit is de riguer everywhere in the island. Wearing a button down long sleeve shirt is "dress up" formal attire for most locals.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luaus - what do you wear?

I agree, it's the perfect time to break out the aloha wear and takes lots of pics to show off when you get back home!

My hubby wore a Hawaiian shirt and shorts and I wore a matching muumuu with flowers in my hair. Of course some people will feel they are just too cool for this look, but we had a lot of fun with it and had a great time.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
878 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luaus - what do you wear?

The great thing about Aloha Wear is that it can be as loud or subtle as you feel comfortable with.

You don't need to walk around with bright flamboyant colours and huge flowers. You can get some really nice quiet prints that still let you get into the spirit without drawing all eyes.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,885 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luaus - what do you wear?

Aloha shirt, white slacks and a kukui nut lei.

Kapolei, Oahu...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Luaus - what do you wear?

Aloha,

Just dont wear high heels or nice shoes- most likely you will be walking in sand/grassy area. Just like the old hawaiians, keep it simple and have fun!

Like at Paradise Cove there are canoe rides-so manolo's are not a good choice!

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,194 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luaus - what do you wear?

Keep an eye on the weather. Because if you are sitting outside after the sun goes down sometime it can be quite cool. I'd take along a little jacket or sweater of some sort, is my best suggestion.

7. Re: Luaus - what do you wear?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, September 27, 2009