We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General questions

England
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
General questions

Hi all

Just some general questions about visiting Hawaii if you don't mind.

Thinking about booking a trip for next year, taking in San Francisco for 1 week and then on to Oahu, really want to visit the Pearl Harbour memorial. This will be a surprise for my wife who has longed to visit this part of America all her life so it will be a dream holiday for the both of us. Is there anything I should take in consideration when making my final arrangements. I'm thinking about booking our 2 weeks stay in Oahu at the Hilton Village, has anyone got an opinion on this?

I'm sure I���ll have lots more questions over the coming months so please bear with me if some of them seem a bit trivial.

Regards

Trevor

Atlanta
Level Contributor
216 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: General questions

Trevor, what a great treat for you and your wife!!

We stayed at the Hilton HV in 2000. It is almost like a litte self-contained city. It has a fairly wide beach for Waikiki, we spent many hours lounging on that beach.

If you will be on Oahu for two weeks, I think I would look into renting a condo or at least something with a kitchen. You can save lots of money cooking your own meals.

I'm sure there are poster's here who could recommend a place or two to look at with a kitchen.

No matter what you will have a great time.

Hubby and I return to Hawaii in 12 days for our third trip and to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary.................I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!

janie

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
554 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General questions

Sound like a fantastic trip.

My recommendations are this: rent (or as you would say in England -- hire) a car and enjoy the entire island of Oahu.... not just Waikiki -- you'd be so glad you did.

Pick up a copy of Oahu Revealed so you can enjoy Oahu while you're driving!

Texas
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: General questions

We stayed at the Waikiki Shore Condominiums right down the beach from the Hilton Hawaiian Village. We loved it. The one bedroom apt. was very spacious and lovely; the studio's are quite small from what i hear. However if you arent looking for a kitchen, the HHV will be a great place to stay. It has the best beach in Waikiki in my opinion, and who knows...as big as it is, there may be units with kitchenettes as well. No matter where you stay, you are sure to have a great trip! What a great guy that plans such an awesome suprise vacation for his girl!! HAVE FUN!

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: General questions

Aloha Trevor,

You can see the Pearl Harbor memorial and it's sights in a few hours. What do you have planned for the rest of your 2 weeks on Oahu? Waikiki and the surrounding area can get old pretty quickly, so you might want to think about visiting other areas of the island, or even another island. Many visitors spend 5-7 nights on Oahu, then spend the rest of their time on Maui, Kauai, or the Big Island. Each island is unique and you would have a wonderful time experiencing everything from the bustle of Waikiki to waterfalls, hiking, swimming, or maybe even a volcano!

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General questions

I concur with hiring a car during your stay. In fact, make it a convertible--you will not regret it at all. There is so much to see and do.

Hilton is a great choice. The grounds are very pretty. I have not stayed there myself, but people I know who have, love it.

Regarding Pearl Harbor. Make a note to get there early the day you want to tour it. This is a must! Depending on the time of year you go, tickets will run out. If you are there when it opens, you can be out by 10:00 am and have the rest of the day to spend touring the island.

England
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: General questions

Fantistic.............

What a response, thank you so much for all the replies and advise. To be honest i*ve only just started to make arrangements and as for the rest of the time on Oahu, i'm not to sure of my plans yet. But certainly visiting other island is an option.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Regards

Trevor