We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budget hotel vs. condo hotel? latest on royal grove vs royal

Smithers, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
budget hotel vs. condo hotel? latest on royal grove vs royal

me and my boyfriend from canada are headed to hawaii feb 5-11. ive been doing alot of research regarding price and value for money in the waikiki area. just wondering if anyone who has been there recently can tell me much more about any of these...royal grove hotel, royal gardens, the breakers, and ala moana. im interested in staying somewhere budget but possibly in a newer hotel than the royal grove however all the reviews for the ala moana and roy. gardens are far worse than the other two which makes me wonder if its worth paying a little extra money....feeling quite confused....looking for advice and suggestions. also advice from travelers who use vrbo.com to stay in condo hotels....reliability? does it end up being cheaper really? after all the fees etc....

thanks much!

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,779 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: budget hotel vs. condo hotel? latest on royal grove vs royal

Do you have a reservation at Royal Grove? If not, I doubt you can get one at this late date. It's a very popular hotel.

I would choose the Breakers or The Hawaiiana Hotel right next door to it, both on BeachWalk. They are lovely.

Another good one is Celebrity Resort over near the canal on Nohonani. I have also stayed at the Hawaiian King next door on the same street.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,600 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: budget hotel vs. condo hotel? latest on royal grove vs royal

If you can find a condo from www.vrbo.com it will probably be OK. Most are much less expensive than hotels.

You will have to look at each listing & check to see what fees there are to see if it will be cheaper. Most places have a cleaning fee of around $70. So that is only $10 a day added to the daily rate.

Some of the listings have free parking or may not have parking available.

Lots of Oahu info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,779 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: budget hotel vs. condo hotel? latest on royal grove vs royal

Also realize in condo's there are different services than at a hotel.

For example, you may be responsible for taking your own garbage out, washing your own towels and linens (i.e., no maid service), vacuuming up at the end of your stay.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: budget hotel vs. condo hotel? latest on royal grove vs royal

hi here's my two cents worth.

we stayed at the royal grove in oct 07 we loved it!

yes it is old but clean,cheap and the staff is great.

i also looked into celebrity resorts and while we wer'e there we walked by it and went in the lobby and checked out the pool area very tropical and lots of people lounging at the pool area we did not see any rooms but if i could not get aroom at the grove then i would give them a try. suze is right the grove is very popular with the snowbirds in the winter but call them and ask if they have any rooms

can't hurt to ask. we are returning in sept 08 and i have already made our reservation. i am looking forward to it way too much.

5. Re: budget hotel vs. condo hotel? latest on royal grove vs royal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, September 17, 2009