We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ohau on a budget.

ireland
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ohau on a budget.

Myself and 2 friends are going to Hawaii as part of our round the world trip.

We are wanting to see as much and do as much as possible for as cheaply as possible we are on a tight budget.

I would really appreciate any help that anyone could give me on the following:

1. How much is it to get from the airport to wakiki beach?

2.How much is it to get to Pearl Harbour?

3.what is the sales tax in hawaii?

4. on average how much is a beer? (priorities lol)

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ohau on a budget.

1. Taxi should be between $30 to $40, at today's rate that means about 20 to 27 euros. Since you have 3 people it's going to cost similar whether you take a taxi or an airport shuttle, so pick taxi which takes you directly to the hotel instead of having to numerous drop offs.

2. Don't know this one since I usually take the rental car, but I heard there are shuttles that costs about $10 to $15 round trip per person. That sound less than a taxi.

3. Last I was on Oahu the tax showing up on receipts was 4.712%. Unlike VAT, I do not believe you can claim this back.

4. Depends on where you are buying the beer... I don't drink beer... But mixed drinks can cost anywhere from $6 to $15.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ohau on a budget.

We paid $28 from the airport to central Waikiki earlier this year. There's also shuttles for ~$10 per person, but with three together might as well use a taxi.

Get a room with a kitchen or at least a refrigerator and buy your beer from the ABC store or Food Pantry grocery store to save money.

Do you have a hotel yet? That should be your first concern imo because that is WAY more expensive than anything on your list! See if you can get a reservation at The Royal Grove as soon as you have your dates.

Mentioned in this post
Food Pantry
Food Pantry
379 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,094 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ohau on a budget.

Lots of info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ohau on a budget.

i agree with suze we stayed at the royal grove we loved it and it is cheap. good location clean and comfortable we wiil be going back next september we would'nt think of staying anywhere else.

you can take the bus #42 or # 20 to pearl harbor for 2.00 each way

or 4day bus pass is 20.00.

tax is 4.712 on the dollar

beer depends on what you lke the kona brewing co. beers we're 9.99 a six pack at abc store.i would try a regular grocery store they are opening a real nice safeway up on kapahulu ave real close to waikiki..beer at a bar is about 4 to 5 dollars.

Menomonie, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
784 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ohau on a budget.

I don't know if the bus goes to the airport but if it does and you don't have large luggage that might be a cheap way to get from the airport to Waikiki.

Pearl Harbor: The Arizona Memorial itself is free but the cheapest way to get there is by bus. Lines at the memorial get long so if you are strapped for time you might want to splurge for a taxi. If you want to see the USS Missouri or the Bowfin those cost money, but it depends on the tour you take. There are a lot of coupons in the coupon books around Waikiki.

DOn't remember the price of beer, but I do remember the Kona beer was good.

Remember if you are on a budget the further away you are from the beach the cheaper your hotel will probably be.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
393 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ohau on a budget.

Hi, firstly let me say you are so lucky to be taking in Hawaii as part of your trip - and I'm so excited to pass on my knowledge to you as someone from this side of the world for once!!!!

1. About $25 - $30 in a taxi

2. We took The Bus (check out www.TheBus.org) to get to Pearl Harbour and most other places - it's only $2 per trip so much cheaper than taking one of the organised excursions, plus the drivers nearly always announce the stop so you won't miss it!!!! I wasn't a fan of Pearl Harbour, but I guess it depends what you're into - I reviewed it on here so check it out if you want!

3. Can't remember sorry but I'm sure you can google it!!!!

4. Amazingly, despite being a big drinker, I hardly drank on holiday, and always with meals cos I seemed to slip into the get-up-early, go-to-bed early routine they have there, but I don't think it's too expensive.

For other vouchers and stuff you can pick up magazines on the streets (they're in racks, I'm not just some skank that picks stuff up off the streets!) but you can normally get good deals in there.

Let me know if you want anymore info - I'm so jealous of you!

Graham, wa
Level Contributor
4 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ohau on a budget.

hello, I just returned from Waikiki with hubby and teen daughters, we stayed at the Royal Grove Hotel, loved it, cheap $80.00 for the four of us, one double bed and two twins and kitchen, close to beach, safe, no bugs and CLEAN, just old.

Mentioned in this post
Royal Grove Hotel
Royal Grove Hotel
409 Reviews
Oahu, HI
San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ohau on a budget.

The bus is US$2. pp ($1. senior) from HNL to Waikiki.

Taxi was $28. to Hot. Aqua Spa at 1850 Ala Moana on 17 Nov.

Must say that dinner at Alan Wong's was world class, but not inexpensive.

M

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
393 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ohau on a budget.

Hi again, if you're looking for cheap accomodation check out hawaiivacationrentals.com - they are privately owned studios and apartments, quite often linked to a hotel, so all still easily accessible - but we stayed in a studio I found on there for £250 pp for 2 weeks - double bed, sofa, lanai, private bathroom and kitchenette, pool at the hotel, 2 blocks from the beach.

It's worth looking into if you need cheap accommodation - plus if you have a lot of stuff with you, it's good because we didn't have maid service so everything was defnitely safe in the room since the only ppl who had the key was us and the owner.

In general, Hawaii is more expensive than mainland US, but for the amazing atmosphere it is definitely worth it for the extra bucks!!

Let me know if you want any more info.

10. Re: Ohau on a budget.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, September 14, 2009