We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need peoples oppinion. 2 buy or to rent snorkel...

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sacramento
10 posts
Save Topic
need peoples oppinion. 2 buy or to rent snorkel...

going to oahu on may. 25th (yessssss!). one of the last decisions that are left for the trip is whether or not it is worth it to buy or just to rent snorkel equipment for the trip. planning to go Hanauma Bay and Sharks Cove. what are the rates that people are getting charged for snorkel gear and are they quality equipment......THANKS TO EVERYONE POSTING.....YOU FOLKS HAVE MADE THIS TRIP EASIER TO PLAN!!! :O)

Stay: 8 nights

Renting a car

HAnauma, Kailua, Sharks Cove, North Shore, I.M.P., anything else people can suggest?????

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need peoples oppinion. 2 buy or to rent snorkel...

Snorkel Bob's is a popular rental place....try looking for their website. I believe they are on all of the islands. I guess it depends on what you are willing to spend to buy, vs. renting. It seems to me I have read that weekly rentals aren't a bad price. If you plan to use the equipment after Hawaii, maybe buying makes more sense.

Smithfield, Virginia
Level Contributor
429 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need peoples oppinion. 2 buy or to rent snorkel...

snorkelbob.com

Rates are listed on the website as $8/day, but are supposed to be slightly higher on the island of Oahu.

I think this is the way I will go. I don't think I will need the equipment after I get back from Oahu and I saw the cheapest set (fins, mask and snorkel) at Wal-Mart was $20. So renting is definitely better for my husband and I.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need peoples oppinion. 2 buy or to rent snorkel...

its nice to bring your own mask and snorkel if possible, you will get a better fit and won't have the pleasure of putting a overused object in your mouth. Fins would be alot of luggage space and the good ones are a little pricey

Colorado
Level Contributor
193 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need peoples oppinion. 2 buy or to rent snorkel...

I agree with longboard. We brought along our own snorkel and mask. It was totally worth it. We had spent extra for dry snorkels and it was worth every penny. Ebay has some great deals. Both the ones I bought were brand new in the package. I got good masks too. Snorkel and mask for under $30. We didn't need fins all that much.

pennsylvania
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: need peoples oppinion. 2 buy or to rent snorkel...

My husband and I brought our snorkel gear to Bermuda, the equipment took up a large portion of our suitcases. We used the gear frequently and we really enjoyed having it but... I guess the question to you would be what's more important? Packing more clothes etc and renting snorkel gear or bringing your own and having less space. We are a family of 5 going to Oahu in June...if we packed snorkel gear for everyone we'd need a suitcase just for the gear.

Have fun!

Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: need peoples oppinion. 2 buy or to rent snorkel...

I was recently looking through my Hawaii info (planning our next trip) and remember seeing that Snorkle Bob gives you a new dry snorkle to keep when you rent (though I think some dry snorkles are better than others and I'm sure this one is cheap). You only return the mask and fins. We rented snorkle equipment on our first trip to Hawaii 15 years ago. We were pleased with the cost and had no trouble with the equipment. However, we have since learned to scuba and have our own equipment which now carry with us. Our 2 daughters (7 and 10) snorkle and we carry their equipment with us also. My husband and I would probably be fine with rented equipment still, but I think my girls do better with their own stuff that they've worn many times before. They both have quality dry snorkles that work. I like to buy our stuff from www.leisurepro.com as they have quality equipment cheap.

Have a great time!

Gina

sacramento
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: need peoples oppinion. 2 buy or to rent snorkel...

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!! GOING 2 LEAVE TOMMOROW!!!!!!!

Leaning towards rental since posted too late and if i bought must still do research on whats good/quality equipment. I wil look into buying on the NEXT HAWAII TRIP :o) thanks again!!!!!