We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PCC in a day - Possible to experience it all? Activities?

midpoint
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
PCC in a day - Possible to experience it all? Activities?

I have read various posts/threads about PCC, and I notice that it appears Samoa and Tonga are the two most popular villages to visit.

However being that a strong interest of mine is learning about other cultures, is it possible/worth it to spend the day enjoying all of the villages? And what is it about these two villages that make them popular? How different/more enjoyable are the guided activities/shows of certain villages from the standard avaliable activities?

While I did read oahu suggestions (dusty's guide) I just wanted a little more detail if possible on pcc itself.

Also, my honeymoon in Hawaii is Nov 26-Dec 8. Although this isnt quite peak season, is pcc still packed during this time?

Thanks in advance for all those who take the time to help me.

Grayson, Georgia
Level Contributor
428 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PCC in a day - Possible to experience it all? Activities?

You can experience most of the villages in one day, but I don't think you can get to all of them. There is a set schedule, printed on your park map (you'll get it when you arrive). Productions take place every half-hour or so, beginning at 12 or 12:30 . . . and not every village performs at each time slot. One (Marquesas I believe) performs only twice during the day. Also, there is a canoe pageant at 2:30 (?), during which no villages perform because they're all in their canoes. Luckily, PCC offers "free within three"--you can return to visit the villages (not the luau or the Horizons show, but the village productions) for free within three days of your visit. You might need to get a pass or validation during your initial visit, but it is highly publicized, so it should be a simple process.

http://www.polynesia.com/

Be sure to pick up an Entertainment book (www.entertainment.com) to save $40 on your visit.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: PCC in a day - Possible to experience it all? Activities?

The seven villages are open throughout the day.

There is a "museum aspect" in the villages, in that you can walk through them and see items of the different cultures & some other things.

Each village also has times when there are demonstrations/shows. Each demonstration is about 1/2 hour long. This is the best part of the villages.

Some of the villages are Polynesian dancing or other kind of demonstration.

Samoa & Tonga have a lot of humor with their demonstrations/shows.

The demonstrations in the villages start at 12:30. If you were to go from village to village (each village has set times for their demonstrations & they are several times a day in each village) you could possibly see all of the village demonstrations. But you might have to give up IMAX or canoe rides or something else to see all of the villages.

IMAX is a nice film, but sometimes I skip it if the people I'm with would rather see more village demonstrations. IMAX is an hour film, but it is just a film & no big deal if you miss it to see more villages.

The canoe pageant is a don't miss.

PCC always get a decent size crowd, but they have plenty of space. The only thing that is really crowded is the canoe pageant, because there are no other villages or IMAX scheduled while the canoe pageant is going on.

PCC kind of has limits on the number of people that go there every day, so no day is really much more crowded than any other day. Almost all of the visitors get some kind of package that includes 'Horizons' and there is a limited number of seats.

You can call rather than booking online. Its better if you have a couple of days available. Ask which day has better seats available for 'Horizons' for the package you want. Pick that day to go.

1-800-367-7060

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
887 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PCC in a day - Possible to experience it all? Activities?

If you are narrowing down which presentations to go to, the Samoan and Tongan are great. We also really enjoyed the Maori presentation.

And if you enjoy music, the Hawaiian presentation is good. I thought it would be boring since it was just one guy, but he gave a great history of how Hawaiian music developed over the years and used a lot of different instruments as well, I really enjoyed it.

medford, or
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: PCC in a day - Possible to experience it all? Activities?

we booked on line so we could return for up to 5 days later but if you use the $40. coupon you can still return for 3 days. (AND if you go to the poly ctr. before Nov.31, you can get the 2007 ET book for only $10./ no shippping!) as it turned out we only went back to see the imax film which was environmentally eyeopening & inspiring for us- but still just a film! we could easily do all the villages in 1 day but i wish we had known to focus on the CULTURAL PRESENTATIONS shown in each village as this was the best intro to each as well as a way to read the schedule at each village & see what other demonstrations we would want to see. (they aren't all listed in the handout & we spent a lot of time going in circles!)

tip for your new manly man: my hubby loved the demo that told how to open a coconut & he had many opportunities during our vacation to forage for coconuts & show off his new skill!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,048 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PCC in a day - Possible to experience it all? Activities?

If you are staying in Honolulu, keep in mind that the PCC is a good - well, over a hour away, depending on traffic. So just popping back is not so easy unless you have another interests in that part of the island - which is gorgeous.

We arrived about noon and left after the evening show and felt that we had "done it." Saw many of the presentations, the evening show, had a buffet dinner. Skipped the IMAX, as the presentation was one we could see other places. I think that you can do it justice in a full day.

We bought a package that included pick-up and drop off at our hotel -- and I SO highly recommend that service. The ride there was narrated (great) and the ride home in the dark after a very full day ... well it was great to let someone else drive.

I think that your timing is excellent as long as you avoid Thanksgiving weekend. And you never know when tour buses arrive. But it's a very large place that can accommodate plenty of visitors.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
483 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PCC in a day - Possible to experience it all? Activities?

We took a guided tour and did not get to all the shows, as promised. Being with a guide, we had to go by his schedule. You'll see & do a lot more on your own.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: PCC in a day - Possible to experience it all? Activities?

"(AND if you go to the poly ctr. before Nov.31, you can get the 2007 ET book for only $10./ no shippping!)"

The 2007 book coupons expire November 1, not Nov 31

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
968 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PCC in a day - Possible to experience it all? Activities?

i would skip the imax show

Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PCC in a day - Possible to experience it all? Activities?

Hello Midpoint,

My husband and I (newleyweds) went to the PCC on a Friday.

We paid the extra for them to pick us up and take us home. I do suggest this, because it is only $19 return and you can get to know your tour guide on your way there, and on the way home, seriously you are so tired the last thing you would want to do is drive or find a way back to your hotel.

We got the ali luau package which is the one up from basic which included buffett dinner. I would strongly recommend this package.

We were given the option when we got there to pay the extra $10 per person for our tour guide to take us around. We liked our tour guide (a samoan fun guy) so we paid the extra. He made sure we were at every show on time, and we got to do everyting. We missed out on one island, but we got to see NZ, Tahiti, Samoa, Hawaii, Tonga, Fiji. Those are supposed to be the best, we went on a canoe ride, and we were taken back to where the canoe pagent is a bit early so we got good seats. We got a shaved ice while we were waiting.

Our guide was well educated and knew alot about all the islands, and he was generally a fun guy and in my opinion made the experience.

The Luau Dinner was so-so, the show they put on while eating is quite good. The food itself is ok, big selection. We didn't have room for dessert.

I did think the photo's that u can buy (no obligation of course) werea bit expensive, but found most places were.

The main horizon show was good also, although my husband was a tad bit over all the dancing etc by this stage.

All in all one of my favourite days on oahu.

Mandi

midpoint
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: PCC in a day - Possible to experience it all? Activities?

Thanks to all the suggestions.

From Nov. 26-29 we will be staying at Turtle Bay, so we wont have to worry about a long drive back to Honolulu.

I did get the entertainment book, so it will be 40$ off, and if we dont get to everything after a full day, I could see the small remainder stuff later.

What package do you guys think is the best?

Thanks.