We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriage License Agent

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
156 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Marriage License Agent

What is a marriage license agent? How do you find them? You are supposed to see one to obtain your marriage license.

Mililani, Hawaii
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriage License Agent

I've never heard of a marriage license agent. Where did you hear that term? To obtain a marriage license go down to the Department of Health with your fiance.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriage License Agent

From the Hawaii Government Web Site about obtaining marriage licenses.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
109 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriage License Agent

This is only necessary if you are getting married on a neighbor island. If you are getting married on Oahu, you can go to the Health Department Building. From the Hawaii Department of Health website:

For the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of marriage agents on the neighbor islands - call the local office of the Department of Health:

Hawaii (Big Island) - (808) 974-6008

Kauai - (808) 241-3498

Maui - (808) 984-8210

Molokai - (808) 553-3663

Lanai - (808) 565-6411

hawaii.gov/health/…index.html

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriage License Agent

Tiabla - I'm getting married on Maui, but my wedding coordinator told me to get my license in Honolulu.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
809 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriage License Agent

When we got married in 2005, we got our marriage licence in Honolulu and were told that the marriage licence was valid for all the islands for 30 days from the date we obtained it.

Just checked the website for Hawaii State Dept of Health and it says that :

"The marriage license is good only in, but is valid throughout, the State of Hawaii"

So you can get it from Honolulu and use it throughout all the Hawaiian Islands. Here is the link for the website:

hawaii.gov/health/…howto

Have a great trip & wedding :-)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriage License Agent

Hawaii 50

I have the web site and have read everything on it. When I called the actual Health Department, the clerk told me I need to go to a marriage license agent, that I was not to come to the actual Health Department.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
809 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriage License Agent

Hi Kahpooh,

When we were married, the marriage licence agents works at the Dept of Health building and they issue the marriage licence to you & your fiance.

You have to attend an "interview" with the marriage licence agent but you dont book a time, you just go down to the Dept of Health (details below) fill in your forms and wait. Sometimes the wait is short and other times the wait can be long it just depends how many people are there at the time getting their marriage licence as well (first come first serve basis). The marriage licence agent will go through all your documents, identification and then you pay them the $60 fee (cash only). They will issue you with a receipt and the marriage licence which you give to your marriage performer or minister.

This is the address we went to to see the marriage licence agent , (also from the website)

In Honolulu - Room 101 (1st floor) of the Health Department Building, 1250 Punchbowl St. (corner of Beretania and Punchbowl Streets)

Monday through Friday (excluding holidays), 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

I hope this helps some more :-)

8. Re: Marriage License Agent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, September 07, 2009