We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is the Polynesian Cultural Center a must do?

on the lake...
Level Contributor
567 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
is the Polynesian Cultural Center a must do?

we will be in Hawaii for 10 days, splitting our stay between Honolulu and Maui. On Maui, we are staying at the Royal Lahaina, which has its own luau on site. We like the idea of not having to drive back to the hotel after the luau. We have rental cars on both islands.

My question is... if we are going to do the Royal Lahaina Luau, do we still need to go to the PCC? We have 3 full days in Honolulu (2 after we spend a day at the Pearl Harbor Memorials, etc) Thanks in advance!

Best Seller
Turtle Canyon Snorkel Cruise by...
121 reviews
from $96.75*
Best Seller
Oahu Grand Circle Island Day Tour...
666 reviews
from $80.31*
Best Seller
Pearl Harbor Tour From Honolulu
178 reviews
from $46.00*
Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: is the Polynesian Cultural Center a must do?

Back to the original post, long since forgotten....

Your question is, should you spend a day, or 1/3 of your time on Oahu, at the PCC? Haven't seen it; have my own views about churches being in the tourist business but that's unimportant, but to devote such a large chunk of your limited time in Oahu to PCC, writing off an incredibly diverse array of sights and activities?.... I dunno.

I have spent a total of three weeks over four trips to Oahu and still haven't felt the need to go there. You're doing a luau, so that box is checked. If you want history, there's Bishop's museum and others that will give you the real deal and not burn an entire day.

For me, it's not a tough call at all. Couldn't drag me there. But it's obvious that most on the forum would say I'm missing something.

Level Contributor
2,040 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: is the Polynesian Cultural Center a must do?

Here again, it has nothing to do with churches. Is the PCC worth it?I vote yes!!!!!

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: is the Polynesian Cultural Center a must do?

I respectfully but strongly disagree that the decision to visit PCC has nothing to do with churches.

I want to be an informed traveler, and I believe most people have the same goal. I want an understanding of where my travel dollar is going. I want to understand what I am supporting with my presence. In some cases, I'll choose not to support.

For instance, I don't want to support activities that abuse the environment. In my view, things like ATV rides and chumming sharks to get a close up view don't meet my standard (They may meet yours, but that's up to you.)

If an organization presents a show such as PCC does that purports to be historically based, I'd like to understand the perspective of the presenter. I may want to support; I may not. But at least I know. To say the LDS connection to PCC doesn't matter ignores reality.

Further, whether a church as a non-profit organization committed to saving souls should be running a for profit business is a legitimate question. I have an issue with that as do many; you may not.

In any case, go if you like. Stay away if you like. I don't care. If you'll read my previous post again, all I really said was the PCC trip would consume a large chunk of time on Oahu that may be spent doing many other things.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,612 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: is the Polynesian Cultural Center a must do?

"Further, whether a church as a non-profit organization committed to saving souls should be running a for profit business is a legitimate question. I have an issue with that as do many; you may not."

Any profits they get from PCC goes to educate many that otherwise could not afford an education. PCC also provides part-time jobs for hundreds of the students.

Every business is run by someone who may or may not be religious or may be a Democrat or a Republican. Do we also have a right to know what religion or political party the owner of every business belongs to? Some of their profits end up in religions or political parties, etc.

I am non-religious & I don't know any Mormons.

I recommend PCC simply because it is the best Polynesian entertainment in Hawaii.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,826 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: is the Polynesian Cultural Center a must do?

Obviously people have different taste in entertainment and evaluate what they want to participate in for different reasons. So to answer the original question only, for me the PCC is definitely not a must do.

Kaysville, Utah
Level Contributor
509 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: is the Polynesian Cultural Center a must do?

As someone who has been to the PCC several times, I can say you'd probably have to see it to decide for yourself if it's a must do.

The first time I went I was a little reluctant to go, I wanted to go late and leave early.

The show at the first village we saw happened to be Samoa, with the Samoan Cultural Ambassador doing the show. He spoke many languages. Speaking to the multi ethnic crowd from all over the world he spoke to every person there in their own language. He made fire with nothing more than parts of a coconut, a long with many other amazing things. Everyone there was in awe. He is the one who did the fire dance at the time in the Horizons Show. He also is an accomplished painter, with his paintings on sale in the gift shop. His show alone was worth the admission price.

We ended up not having enough time to see everything that trip.

I gotta say though that the food is lousy, in my never to be humble opinion.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: is the Polynesian Cultural Center a must do?

We normally like touristy things but when in Oahu, the PCC just doesn't cut it with us. Takes away from my waikiki time. But seems like a nice place for those who want to do it.

It is good to drive around the Island, but we usually stop at turtle bay for lunch instead of the PCC.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
120 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: is the Polynesian Cultural Center a must do?

I can understand why this topic is generating some debate, and to me it depends on your definition of "must" in context of the rest of your trip.

Given that you are A) already doing a luau and B) only on Oahu 3 days, I say you can skip the PCC. (And I'd skip their luau anyway, as to my understanding, they don't serve booze.) I enjoyed the PCC, would go again, but would not necessarily call it a must do. FWIW.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
344 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: is the Polynesian Cultural Center a must do?

"I recommend PCC simply because it is the best Polynesian entertainment in Hawaii.'

In your opinion. I say that Germaine's blows it out of the water. I'm just as right as your are, and vice versa.

As per the PCC religion debate; it does matter, to people who it matters to. To people who it doesn't matter to, it doesn't matter. Zen enough?

The only thing that I think everyone should know, and the point I've tried to make several times, is that the PCC presents itself as a historical look at Polynesian life, which it is not. It happens to be that the Mormon Church runs it, but that is not what's important: it could be run by any church, corporation or individual. The issue is, for myself and many, that it is playing loose with reality and could seriously mislead the average tourist who visits it into believing that what they see is how Hawai'ians, Tahitians and others really lived, and that isn't good because they didn't. If the PCC was billed as an amusement park with fun and charming vignettes "styled" on Polynesian history, then those problems wouldn't exist. Simple.

As to the food being lousy, the show being so-so and what not, those are my opinions. Some may agree, some may not. It's up to them. But if someone wants to know if the PCC is really something to spend a whole day and fair amount of cash on, then I whole heartedly say "No." But they are welcome to ignore my advice if they feel so inclined.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
Save Reply
40. Re: is the Polynesian Cultural Center a must do?

Mmmmmm....

The very point you are trying to make regarding "real" versus "fantasy" depictions....is just your opinion as well, and can be just as wrong as any other opinions expressed by others.

Unless of course you would like to add some actual facts or experience to support your stance, its just your feelings, nothing more, nothing less.

My guess would be that the Maori and Samoan guys know a lot more about their culture and what they are "performing" than someone from the Pacific Northwest. And, if they say what they are depiciting is a slice o their culture, I'll just go ahead and believe them over an internet poster.