We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle from Airport

H.B., California
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Shuttle from Airport

Hi all,

Do you book the shuttle from the airport to your hotel inadvance,or once your their?

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shuttle from Airport

cmego .... it would be easier to do when you arrive after getting your luggage.

Roberts Hawaii has the contract for shuttle service at the Honolulu International Airport ($16 r/t to waikiki) and they are located outside the baggage claim area across the street to the outside medial strip, but, if you check the transportation/hotel board in the baggage claim area, you have a few choice for shuttle service to Waikiki by van. The van will be less people and faster time to your hotel.

Also, if you are traveling with three to four people, taxi will be the best way to go to Waikiki. The whole taxi ride for four of you will cost approx. $35 o/w.

"Live Aloha"

Mentioned in this post
Roberts Hawaii
Roberts Hawaii
1,239 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Aloha Hawaii Tours
Aloha Hawaii Tours
1,050 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,159 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shuttle from Airport

You can also pre-arrange shuttle service with other operators for a slightly higher fee, $25 to $30 R/T, and they will meet you in the baggage claim, help with your bags and get on the road right away.

Whether or not it is worth it to pay extra to avoid waiting in lines and save a little time...well that is your decision.

For all the alternatives, from the "official" Roberts shuttle to other shuttles, cabs, etc., see the airport info webpage at:

hawaii.gov/dot/…hnl_ground_trans.htm

Mentioned in this post
Roberts Hawaii
Roberts Hawaii
1,239 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shuttle from Airport

When I go to Oahu without renting a car I just use Roberts of Hawaii. No pre-booking necessary. They are the largest airport shuttle service in Oahu.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Roberts Hawaii
Roberts Hawaii
1,239 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Tampa
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shuttle from Airport

Do hotels have regular shuttles from the airport? Does Roberts take you right to your hotel, or some general spot in Waikiki?

Mentioned in this post
Roberts Hawaii
Roberts Hawaii
1,239 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,159 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shuttle from Airport

Unfortunately, Waikiki hotels do not offer airport shuttles for guests...

The "official" Roberts and other "private" shuttles will take you from the airport direct to your hotel porte cochere. However, the number of total stops a shuttle makes and how many (and how long) before your hotel is reached is variable depending upon the number of parties on the bus and what hotels everyone is staying at.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Roberts Hawaii
Roberts Hawaii
1,239 Reviews
Oahu, HI
white rock bc
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Shuttle from Airport

Take a taxi. Well worth the extra $, especially if its busy. If your one of the first stops its fine, but if not, you are wasting valuable holiday time sitting on a bus. It took us over an Hour and a half to get to our hotel that would have otherwise been about a 20 minute ride. I think my friend and I both saved $8 or something like that.

Bellini

Seattle
Level Contributor
48,092 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shuttle from Airport

I take a taxi. I used to take the hotel shuttle bus, but it loops thru all the hotels and can take quite a while to get you there. The taxi is well worth the expense ($30) especially if you are more than 1 person. I do not prearrange, just get in the taxi line at ground transportation outside baggage claim.

bc canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shuttle from Airport

Absolutely take a taxi. With the hour or sometimes more that you save just think you could be on the beach instead of in a van. Or having a mai tai at duke's or walking down Kalakaua or standing on your lanai...every moment in Hawaii is precious..don't waste a second to save a buck.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shuttle from Airport

We learned the hard way - definitely opt for taxis. That is unless you are staying at one of the top notch hotels - Hilton, Royal Hawaiian etc. If you take the Roberts Airport shuttle you will kick yourself repeatedly. I dont know about you but after hours on a plane Im usually pretty tired and pretty excited just to get let out in Hawaii already - and taking the Roberts shuttle was a torcherous lengthy wait. You wait for 10-20 minutes at the airport for them to herd as many people as possible into the bus, after which they try to sell everyone return tickets - essentially wasting another 5-10 minutes, then you slowly very slowly drive into the city where you make stops at all the hotels before yours which is inevitably the last one on the list - and this is an endless trip of circling the same one way streets over and over again desperately wanting to get off and join the people outside walking the sidewalks - getting no nearer to your destination. We were SO frustrated we got off at a hotel that was a few blocks away from ours because we'd been driving in circles for over an hour just in Waikiki that it was a horrible start to our trip. Ever since we have taken taxis - yes the lineup at the airport seems long to wait for them but it goes quickly - a taxi arrives every 30-45 seconds for another group and you get to Waikiki in about 30 minutes and it costs about $25-30 - compared to Roberts $8 one way per person.

Mentioned in this post
Roberts Hawaii
Roberts Hawaii
1,239 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
22 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shuttle from Airport

Has anyone heard of VIP Trans? They will also take you from your hotel to cruise port....I just want to make sure that they are reliable! Thanks!