We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

unlocked iPhone on O2 network - British travellers...

London
Level Contributor
534 posts
49 reviews
37 helpful votes
unlocked iPhone on O2 network - British travellers...

It looks like Hawaii isn't covered by O2 and they've advised I buy a local SIM card and that they will unlock my phone for me. Has anyone done this and did it work ok? Where did you get your sim from? Otherwise I have an old phone I bought in the US a few years ago, I can take that with me if my unlocked phone won't work in the US?

Any suggestions or experiences?

3 replies to this topic
Kem
South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
441 posts
32 reviews
29 helpful votes
1. Re: unlocked iPhone on O2 network - British travellers...

Hi - if they unlock your phone for you any SIM card should work as far as I know. We’re both with Three (with unlocked iPhones) and they worked fine in Maui last year. They just picked up a local network.

South Pole
Level Contributor
43,138 posts
4 reviews
25 helpful votes
2. Re: unlocked iPhone on O2 network - British travellers...

I am not British, but my offspring don’t like phone contracts and prefer to buy prepaid SIMS, which you can then buy more minutes online.

There are various companies like Go phone, Mobi, Straight Talk Wireless. As far as where to get one, you can go to the AT&T store or Verizon or T Mobile etc.., but you can also go to Walmart. It has a good phone section of different choices.

PS some of those above just provide a basically disposable phone for the SIM, if you can get by without the smart phone, but unlocking is a better option if you like a better phone (which I do as well).

Edited: 4:53 pm, June 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
3. Re: unlocked iPhone on O2 network - British travellers...

I used a three pay as you go sim card in an unlocked phone when we went in 2015 and it worked fine

Reply to: unlocked iPhone on O2 network - British travellers...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted