We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too much in one day?

1 post
Too much in one day?

Hi, I’ll be traveling in late November with my family (Mum, dad, husband and then 10 month old) and staying in Waikiki for 9 nights. We’re planning on hiring a car for a couple of days to explore Oahu. We’d like to go to Kualoa Ranch and stop off at the dole plantation and tropical farms macadamias. We’d also like to have a look at the north shore, but I’ve read that there will be surfing competitions on at this time and the area will be super busy. Is this too much to do in one day? Or would it be worth splitting it in to two day trips? Thanks!

Ty Gurney Surf School
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Function Surf
Inter-Island Surf Shop
7 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
51,810 posts
19 reviews
29 helpful votes
1. Re: Too much in one day?

Hi!

Please tell us where you are from and add your hometown, State or country to your profile. It helps us - help you!

Also keep in mind that November 28 is American Thanksgiving - and that whole week (11/23 through 12/1) will be very busy. Book ahead! Reserve your car for a couple extra days as well.

The Dole Plantation is no where near Kualoa Ranch. It's a bit of a tourist trap - grossly over-advertised - but great for a cold drink and a clean bathroom.

The macadamia nut farm ... is not really a macadamia farm. Another hyped "attraction" ... but handy to Kualoa Ranch - which is stunning!

"but I’ve read that there will be surfing competitions on at this time and the area will be super busy" - if the surf's up! The town of Haleiwa is fun, and Waimea Valley is amazing. I like the botanical gardens as well.

When you have a rough itinerary together - post again and we can help.

Also, where are you staying?

Westminster...
Level Contributor
60 posts
2. Re: Too much in one day?

I don’t think it’s too much at all! You could stop at macadamia farm either before or after Kualoa ranch depending on your tour time, it’s really close! We enjoyed trying all the different flavors of macadamia nuts! Then keep driving toward north shore. You most likely won’t be able to get into water, but it’s fun watching the surfers. Parking is challenging tho! We were there November 2018. Then keep driving counter clockwise and you will go through a neat town called Haleiwa. Fun place to shop and lots of food trucks! Keep going and you will eventually hit Dole plantation. We didn’t do the tour, but I have heard of people who enjoy it, and some who don’t. Then continue on toward Waikiki. If you have a morning Kualoa tour go counter clockwise around island. If it’s in afternoon, go clockwise and hit Dole first, etc, ending at Kualoa/macadamia nut farms. It’s a small island. Totally doable!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
56,432 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Too much in one day?

If surf is huge and the completion is on not only will you not be able to park anywhere on the north shore you will run into bumper to bumper traffic on a two lane road. Folks up there to watch the competition and up there just to see those waves. It's a magnificent site but it can also be a challenging day with traffic. If you just want to drive by the north shore, then yes, you can do all,this in one day. If you want to spend anytime up there go another day.

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
175 reviews
58 helpful votes
4. Re: Too much in one day?

Re: surf competitions

I would check the news the days leading up to when you want tomake the drive. Big wave competitions often have "holding periods" where they have a range of dates set aside and they wait till the wave conditions look to be best then announce it within a couple days of actually happening.

If a competition is announced for the day you want to make the drive maybe just be flexible and have an alternate plan?

California
Level Contributor
51,810 posts
19 reviews
29 helpful votes
5. Re: Too much in one day?

Priority-wise ... I would put watching the BIG waves far, far ahead of the Dole Plantation or the macadamia nut "farm."

And - when you arrive at the Airport, you'll see all kinds of free maps, restaurant guides and such. GRAB the map/s of the North Shore. They are very helpful - and more detailed than the general Island maps.

Kansas
14 posts
6. Re: Too much in one day?

Depends what you'd like to do at Kualoa Ranch. You can easily spend whole day there. We did the maze and train at Dole Plantation. It was fun and we spent 3-4 of hours there. There's also PCC and Keana Farm Climbworks Zipline that you could do. If I was doing it, I'd spend 2 days to do both north shore and Kualoa Ranch. But you can definitely do it in one day and make it a very full day.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
56,432 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
7. Re: Too much in one day?

Usually the surf competition won't be announced until an hour or two before the competiotion starts. You do have holding periods but don't get the "green light" until the morning of said competition.

Reply to: Too much in one day?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted