We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in Honolulu which is a 2.5 to 3 star hotel

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
where to stay in Honolulu which is a 2.5 to 3 star hotel

hi there,

We're looking to stay 3 nights in honolulu in central location and another two nights in Disney aulani. Given that we're spending our resort time in aulani, we're looking at a budget hotel which is clean and in a safe area and preferably serves breakfast and closer to Waikiki beach and needs to be airconditioned. During the days we're staying in honolulu we'll be sight seeing/spending time at the beach. What do you recommend? I have shortlisted the following and read some mixed reviews. Leaning towards aqua aloha surf waikiki which serves breakfast. Is it any good?

Royal Grove Waikiki

Ohana Waikiki East by Outrigger

Aqua aloha surf waikiki

13 replies to this topic
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
48,510 posts
49 reviews
41 helpful votes
1. Re: where to stay in Honolulu which is a 2.5 to 3 star hotel

When are you going and what is that nightly budget in USD? I have often used Hotwire or other booking sites for a cheaper hotel. :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
7,355 posts
20 reviews
17 helpful votes
2. Re: where to stay in Honolulu which is a 2.5 to 3 star hotel

First of all, drop the breakfast requirement. - There are easy, inexpensive breakfast offerings everywhere in Waikiki!

Second, forget the star ratings. - They are utterly and completely useless!

Next, how many in your group and when do you plan to visit? What is your nightly accommodation budget?

The Royal Grove is a great, family owned budget hotel. - But they book up WAY in advance!

Ditto for The Breakers, but give them a try.

https://www.breakers-hawaii.com/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
3. Re: where to stay in Honolulu which is a 2.5 to 3 star hotel

Thanks all for your feedback. We're going in Jan 2020 from 9 to 12 Jan (3 nights). Apparently that is the peak season in Hawaii. Our travel agent has also suggested Aqua Pacific Monarch today, which is both a hotel and service apartment, we're told. We have been quoted AUD$740 plus USD$25 per night for resort fee. So overall AUD$850 approx (or USD $571 all up including resort fee). Aqua Pacific Monarch is near Waikiki beach we believe. How does that compare with Royal Grove hotel. It looks nicer than Royal Grove and has a kitchenette.The pricing I got for Royal Grove hotel is AUD 754 (USD 505) however may not have airconditioning.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
4. Re: where to stay in Honolulu which is a 2.5 to 3 star hotel

There are two adults and one child and nightly budget of AUD280 (USD 190 or less). Is that feasible?

Seattle
Level Contributor
55,510 posts
22 reviews
64 helpful votes
5. Re: where to stay in Honolulu which is a 2.5 to 3 star hotel

I wouldn't get too excited about Royal Grove unless you have already contacted them. It's a very popular hotel with good reason so hard to get a reservation. Also there are two different buildings, since you say no AC this is likely the older building, the one without kitchenettes? I think it's a great hotel but you have to understand what you are getting. It is not like the others you mention.

My own best budget experiences were at: Waikiki Sand Villa and White Sands Hotel.

Edited: 7:18 pm, June 07, 2019
Corona del Mar...
Level Contributor
62,606 posts
442 reviews
777 helpful votes
6. Re: where to stay in Honolulu which is a 2.5 to 3 star hotel

>>>Our travel agent has also suggested Aqua Pacific Monarch today<<<

I've never found an Australian travel agent who knew anything useful about Hawaii or California.

Aqua Bamboo Waikiki, Aqua Oasis, Waikiki Sand Villa, White Sands Hotel, Hotel Ilima and Aston at the Waikiki Banyan should all be sub $190 USD.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
20 reviews
31 helpful votes
7. Re: where to stay in Honolulu which is a 2.5 to 3 star hotel

Our friends have just stayed at the Aqua Pacific Monarch and they enjoyed it very much. They said it suited their requirements, was clean, very comfortable and the location is excellent, just a block away from the beach.

California
Level Contributor
51,747 posts
19 reviews
29 helpful votes
8. Re: where to stay in Honolulu which is a 2.5 to 3 star hotel

Just an FYI ... star ratings are completely useless. They are not uniform, and they mean nothing. Search by price/cost.

Winfield, Illinois...
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: where to stay in Honolulu which is a 2.5 to 3 star hotel

We used to stay at the Aqua Oasis when it was the Waikiki Joy. It might fit your wish list. The lowest price room would be fine tho small for two adults. You would need to go to a two bed ( junior suite) to have room for a child, I think. The bathrooms are a nice size and have a tub if that is important with a child. I believe there are still in room mini refrigerators.

It is a smaller hotel just off the main area. I would ask for an upper floor room ( I think seven is as high as it goes)

mfj
sydney, australia
Level Contributor
742 posts
3 reviews
7 helpful votes
10. Re: where to stay in Honolulu which is a 2.5 to 3 star hotel

We've stayed at the Royal Grove three times.

The first two times were good - it's certainly not the flashest hotel in town - but it was clean and comfy and good value for money.

However, our last visit a few months ago was very disappointing. The room hadn't been cleaned properly and it seems to be falling into disrepair. We suspect that they're waiting on a big offer from a hotel chain (which would certainly demolish and re-build) and they're just biding their time and doing the bare minimum until that happens.

Look elsewhere. We will be next time.

Edited: 5:30 am, June 10, 2019
Reply to: where to stay in Honolulu which is a 2.5 to 3 star hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted