We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thoughts on renaissance Ilikai & what's nearby

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
353 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
thoughts on renaissance Ilikai & what's nearby

staying at the renaissance Ilikai in August and am a bit concerned about the area and getting around and what's nearby. please help...

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thoughts on renaissance Ilikai & what's nearby

Ilikai is at the end of Waikiki closest to the Ala Moana Shopping Center (less than 1/2 mile). The Hilton Hawaiian Village is right next and has a shopping and restaurant area open to all. I would imagine that you would go to the beach in front of the Hilton since that is the closest beach, and from there you can walk the length of Waikiki Beach. (I like the beach in front of HHV and Hale Koa since it is the widest and less people comparatively speaking to the main drag.) You also have the option of going to Ala Moana Beach Park which is not far where there are more locals than tourists.

There is a bus stop across Ala Moana Blvd from the hotel which would take you to the middle of Waikiki. If you get over to Ala Moana Shopping Center you can catch the round island bus or the bus to Hanauma Bay. (Well, you can get any where from Ala Moana Shopping Center by bus since that is one of the main bus hubs.)

Enjoy your stay.

TEXAS
Level Contributor
270 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: thoughts on renaissance Ilikai & what's nearby

you have Red Lobster and Outback Steakhouse at your front door, along with some other places across the street. Ala Moana Shopping Center has a great food court too. Ala Moana Beach Park is very nice, as is the beach in front of the Hilton Hawaiian Village. You are a little ways from the action of Waikiki, but it is walkable...or just jump on thebus.

san jose
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: thoughts on renaissance Ilikai & what's nearby

We will be there in August (last week) as I git pretty good deal at Ilikai for that time and I could not resist it for a 3.5 star hotel.

I have heard mixed reviews about Ilikai and area around it. Basically what I could gather it on the edge of all the activities so it is off the beaten path if you like some quite but can be in th middle of the action in a few moments. On the other hand there are complaints that there is a lot of construction around the hotel that makes walking around the hotel difficult and sometimes noisy.

What kind of room did you get and did you book directly with the hotel?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: thoughts on renaissance Ilikai & what's nearby

Don't worry, it's in a great location. I stayed there for 1 month years ago and loved it and the location.

Not being in the middle of Waikiki can be an advantage. Lots of restaurants within short walking distance, right on the bus line, fabulous Hilton beach and lagoon right out "front" on ocean side. Hilton is a beautiful place to walk around and enjoy their amenities.

You can walk, bus or taxi to center of Waikiki.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: thoughts on renaissance Ilikai & what's nearby

Forgot to say.....be sure to ask for a ocean view room away from the construction on the Diamond Head side of the building. They are building a new high rise and at this stage in the construction it isn't too noisy but still, you don't want to see it! Street side on Ala Moana Blvd will have traffic noise so avoid that if possible.

The hotel is in a "Y" shape so lots of good rooms.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,392 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: thoughts on renaissance Ilikai & what's nearby

The ilikai provides easy access to two of Waikiki's best (and least touted) joints, absolute favorites among locals....

If you are looking for a great view, drinks, people and food, make sure to go the Charthouse overlooking the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor (live music most evenings as well), just a few steps along the marina-front away from the Ilikai.

Check out the menu, along with the photos of the view, and you will be verrrrrrry impressed. See:

http://www.charthousehonolulu.com/

And, just below, is the Harbor Pub, one of the funnest places in the District. Lots of drink specials, a crazy group of folks from all over the world, and good pizza. See:

http://www.theharborpub.com/

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
170 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: thoughts on renaissance Ilikai & what's nearby

Stayed at the lllikai for New Year's Eve 2006 - our room was great, but I didn't really like the hotel all that much. Also, the location was a bit out of the way for my liking.

8. Re: thoughts on renaissance Ilikai & what's nearby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, September 04, 2009