We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Waikiki, no car

Como
Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in Waikiki, no car

Hello,

this is my first post, I hope not to make mistakes!!

I'll be in Waikiki for 4 nights in august as a part of my honeymoon, we're looking for a nice, cheap hotel.

Pls consider we won't rent a car but use public transport...and our feets!!

Thanks+greetings from the sunny Italy

Chiara

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Waikiki, no car

Hi. First of all, how close would you like to be to the beach?

What is the price range you'd like to stay within?

Como
Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Waikiki, no car

Hello,

as close to the beach as possible for a price range of 200$ maximum.

Also close to public transport facilities!

Thanks

Chiara

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,875 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Waikiki, no car

Chiara, Welcome to the forum!

I highly recommend The Hawaiiana Hotel! It is on BeachWalk about 3 blocks in from the beach on the Fort de Russey end of Waikiki. It is a "retro" kind of place like an apartment building from the 60's. It has really pretty tropical gardens, two small pools, serve coffee and juice free each morning on the patio, give you a 1/2 fresh pineapple on check in. It's very friendly and low-key kind of place and to me feels more like "old Hawaii" than most of the other hotels which are modern high rise buildings. Rooms all have kitchens which helps save money and is nice to have the refrigerator. $165USD/night. There is a similar hotel right next door called The Breakers. Both have websites.

I have been to Waikiki 3 times recently and never rent a car. I take a taxi ($28 for two) or shuttle bus ($9 per person) to and from the airport, and besides that get around walking only, occasionally taking public transportation called The Bus ($2).

Enjoy! Hawaii is amazing. ~Suze

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,875 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Waikiki, no car

If you want even cheaper you can look at The Royal Grove. But realize this is truly a budget property and may not be to everyone's taste. Rooms are less than $100. It is on the other end of Waikiki near Queen Kapiolani park. It also is an older low-rise building and sits on a busy street. It is popular and gets consistent good reviews from the people who stay there. Since this is a honeymoon, I would recommend instead the other two hotels I have just mentioned above. They are quite a bit nicer for not that much more money.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,875 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in Waikiki, no car

www.royalgrove.com

www.breakers-hawaii.com

www.hawaiianahotelatwaikiki.com

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in Waikiki, no car

Both the Hawaiiana or the Breakers are good choices, and the beach is just at the end of the block, not 3 blocks away as was mentioned in Suze's post. You might also want to try the Aqua Resort Waikiki Wave on Kuhio. I stayed there last November and it had just been renovated. The rates would be under your $200 per day budget and this hotel is in a great location too - right next to the Int'l Market Place and about 5 minutes from the beach. You could also check the Ohana Hotels - they are the lower-end properties owned by the Outrigger chain and are decent places at lower rates.

You'll be fine without a car - I rarely rent a car in Waikiki - I love walking everywhere and taking Th Bus. It is fun to rent a car on a daily basis to get out and see the rest of the island, but (IMO) parking is too sparse and expensive to warrant renting a car for the entire trip. You can also take a circle island tour - either on The Bus (which takes virtually all day) or through one of the many companies you'll find in the discount coupon books which are everywhere.

Congratualtions on your wedding and here's hoping your honeymoon in paradise is fantastic!

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,875 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in Waikiki, no car

I know BashfulLV gives good advice! it was thanks to her suggestion that I found the Hawaiiana in the first place.

Chicago
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel in Waikiki, no car

Guys, what about this one? The ResortQuest Waikiki Circle

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60982-d86984-R…

I'll admit that I don't know much about Hawaii past booking online through Pleasant Holidays, but it seems like if you don't mind small rooms, the location can't be beat for the price. Thoughts?

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel in Waikiki, no car

Second the Circle for location and agree the Grove is more for those of us that will probably be out of the room more.

If at all possible rent a car one day to see the the island as Dusty says it's 4-4 and half hours on the Bus and that's not getting off and on. Tours are alright until they say it's time to go and you're not ready to leave. The Bus and the trolley are fine for Honolulu and a good way to pickup info on local events.

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel in Waikiki, no car

Another hotel you might consider is the Ohan Beachcomber Hotel. It is in a very good location, and walking to the beach will not be far. I have been in this hotel to look around, and in fact checked out some of the rooms. I think it is very acceptable.

www.ohanahotels.com