We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diamond head hike with toddler

Chicago
14 posts
Save Topic
Diamond head hike with toddler

Hi,

we will be in Honolulu from may 18-21 and want to hike up to Diamond head for the views. We will have our 2 1/2 yr old son with us.. now i know he wont be able to walk up all the way.. how difficult is the terrain and how long does it take for hiking up?

thanks

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,016 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Diamond head hike with toddler

The terrain is not difficult. There are some areas where he will have to be carried. I see kids that age going to the top.

Normally it takes 30 minutes up & 20 minutes down. About 50% more time with a toddler.

If you decide not to do the hike & want some good views:

Pu'u Ualaka'a State Wayside on Tantalus has as good a view as from Diamond Head. You have to take Tantalus Drive to get there (Roundtop Drive is closed just before the park).

National Cemetery of the Pacific (Punchbowl) has a lookout that is almost as good as Tantalus.

You can drive to Punchbowl & then Tantalus Drive. Tantalus Drive starts almost at the entrance to Punchbowl.

Aloha Tower has a lookout at the top.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diamond head hike with toddler

Also be sure to bring lots of water and either cover your son with clothes or an inch of sunblock. The trail has almost no shade so it's very hot.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diamond head hike with toddler

As mentioned, the walk is not hard at all. Quite a bit of it is paved, so it's not a problem.

Good advice about bringing water because once you start, there's no place to get water. There's also no bathrooms once you start.

USA
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Diamond head hike with toddler

Have you tried one of the hiking carriers? There specifically meant for baby/toddler hikes.

I was thinking about picking one up for the trip. We'll be there in June.

USA
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Diamond head hike with toddler

By the way, here's a link to one:

www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp…

It's one of the more elaborate ones but they have others that are a bit more economical.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,064 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diamond head hike with toddler

I found the stairs to be the biggest problem.

New York
Level Contributor
875 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diamond head hike with toddler

I agree with suewick. The 100 steps of stairs, all in one straight line with no landing between, was the worst going up.

SoCal
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Diamond head hike with toddler

Would a stroller work on the hike up to DH? I am travelling with my 2 y/o May 18-23.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,016 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Diamond head hike with toddler

You could not do it with a stroller.

Shalimar FL
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Diamond head hike with toddler

I have a question about the 100 stairs. Are there handrails? Are the stairs wide enough for people to get around me if I'm moving slowly one step at a time and hanging onto the handrails for support? I have bad knees and I usually completely avoid stairs as they put too much stress on the knee joints. I would love to be able to do this experience if it doesnt create a problem that I'm having to move too slow and people are going to have to go around me.