We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late access to HNL International Terminal

Wellington, Canada
2 posts
Late access to HNL International Terminal

My Wife and I are on a JetStar flight departing HNL at 8:00 AM and have been advised by the carrier to be at the check-in counter 3 hours before definitely no later than 2 hours before departure. We arrive from LIH to HNL at 11:45 PM at the domestic terminal. The question is are we going to be allowed after collecting bags to enter the International terminal around midnight? Yes we will have our JetStar itinerary.

6 replies to this topic
Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
175 reviews
1. Re: Late access to HNL International Terminal

You won't be able to stay overnight behind security at the airport, you will need to find somewhere else to stay.

Maui
Level Contributor
72,731 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Late access to HNL International Terminal

What Analise said...............no one is allowed to stay overnight inside the terminals.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
103 reviews
3. Re: Late access to HNL International Terminal

Actually, HNL is open 24 hours and there is one TSA line open 24 hours. I thought that to be the case, but I double and triple checked.

For more information and confirmation of the 24 hour operation call: 1-808-636-6411 or google HNL hours.

However, your airline counter won’t be open for you to check your bags. So, you can either hang around the JetStar check in area for several uncomfortable hours or find a place off property.

It isn’t unusual to find displaced passengers spending the night on the property. It just isn’t comfortable. But, you are going to have limited time considering your late night arrival, so a few hours of discomfort may be okay for you.

The Starbucks outside baggage claim opens at 4:30AM as an FYI.

The McDonalds a short walk from the terminal is open 24 hours if you want food.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
18,321 posts
137 reviews
4. Re: Late access to HNL International Terminal

Any chance you can change the LIH flight to earlier in the day? You could see a bit of Waikiki, have a nice dinner, spend the night and go to the airport early next morning.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,870 posts
5. Re: Late access to HNL International Terminal

I assume these are separate reservations?

Do you have to have checked bags?

At one time, per a friend who works there, they were allowing international pax in cases similar to yours to stay airside. You'd have to call and check to see if that is still possible. It might take more than one phone call to find someone knowledgeable on the issue. But, if you have to check bags, and there's no one there to check them, this wouldn't work anyway (unless you played bag roulette....).

Wellington, Canada
2 posts
6. Re: Late access to HNL International Terminal

Thank you for the information. We will call and confirm access a couple of days before our departure and take it on the chin for a 5 hour layover. We are not total novice travelers thinking a short overnight in a international terminal would be OK. Live and learn.

Reply to: Late access to HNL International Terminal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted