We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Hawaiian Village vs Doubletree Alana

FL
1 post
Save Topic
Hilton Hawaiian Village vs Doubletree Alana

We are trying to figure out which hotel to stay at. We are planning on using Hilton Honors points for whichever one we choose. Unfortunately, we cannot figure out which one to stay at.

Part of me is leaning toward HHV - but part of me is afraid it will be too big and bustling. I've seen great reviews about both.

Anyone care to chime in on why they would choose one over the other?

Thanks in advance!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,347 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village vs Doubletree Alana

HHV is right on the beach & is much nicer.

Both are on the Ala Moana end of Waikiki.

www.driveguidemagazines.com/oahu_waikiki.html

Detroit, Michigan
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village vs Doubletree Alana

We stayed at both last year (Doubletree for two days and HHV for four days). We definitely enjoyed the HHV better. However, the Doubletree is within walking distance of the HHV.

The bathroom at the Doubletree was small and the shower was tiny. The room was also smaller. However, we had the breakfast special so it was really good that we didn't have to spend money for that and the food was good. Also, the free cookies were a nice bonus.

HHV didn't seem as big as I thought it would be. All of the towers are easily within walking distance and it was nice being right on the beach. We stayed in the Ali'i tower and really liked the room a lot.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village vs Doubletree Alana

Well, we are talking two completely different experiences. One is a business hotel (Doubletree) and one is a resort (Hilton HHV). I have stayed at both, and tend to frequent the Doubletree when I am in Waikiki for only a night, just b/c the price is right and I usually get a pretty good upgrade. However, the Doubletree is a hotel ... nothing more. The rooms are nice and the suites have good sized bathrooms ... not sure about the regular rooms as I've never stayed in one ... if you are gold or platinum I think you can count on an upgrade. I'm thinking they have a pool ... not sure. This is a good place to stay if you are just sleeping here.

The Hilton Hawaiian Village is truly a village ... I don't think it's too big but it is a bit bustling ... esp in the summer when lots of families are around. However, they have great pools and are located right on the beach (albeit a bit of a windy beach at times...) They also have a spa. The rooms are larger and there are some great oceanfronts in some of the towers. If you want a "resort" experience ... i.e., you plan to spend time relaxing around the hotel, then HHV is your choice.

Of course, if you are trying to maximize points, then you might want the Doubletree. If you are gold or platinum Hilton Honors, you know that they offer 6 nights at any of the Hilton resorts in Hawaii for 175,000 points? (As opposed to the 40K per night you'd use otherwise.)

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,112 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village vs Doubletree Alana

Unless you plan to spend lots of time in your hotel I would go for the Doubletree. I have no doubt that the HHV will be nicer but we always find that when we are in Waikiki things which are usually important to us in choosing accomodation in other places just don't matter in Waikiki. Like the pool area of our hotel isn't important because the beach is too nice to miss out on. Restaurants are good and plentiful so it doesn't matter if our hotel doesn't have one, same goes for bars. Our biggest consideration is cleanliness. Of course these are just my thoughts, you may have a different list of priorities. What ever you choose I hope you have a great vacation.

5. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village vs Doubletree Alana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, August 31, 2009