We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airfare cancelation?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
airfare cancelation?

i'm planning a trip to hawaii with my sister and cousin. they're in SF and i'm in LA. from lax to hnl it's $450, which has a stop off at sfo. but if you leave from sfo it's more expensive. was wondering if it's possible for them to buy the tickets originating from lax, check in online, "miss" the flight from lax and get on at sfo? or would United cancel the entire ticket?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,551 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airfare cancelation?

Actually the airlines wised up to people getting cheaper flights with connections and either getting off before the trip was done or trying to get on in the middle. What they do is offer you the choice to pay full fare or not go. Never did figure out why it is cheaper to fly more but hey, it is their sandbox and they can do pretty much anything they want.

Honolulu, HI
Level Contributor
505 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airfare cancelation?

Have you checked with Aloha or Hawaiian Airlines? They usually run specials out of Oakland that are even cheaper than $450

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airfare cancelation?

don't try it, if you do not get on the original flight the cancel all flights including return flights

4. Re: airfare cancelation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, August 30, 2009