We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honolulu/Kauai Trip Report-A great Trip

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Central NJ
Level Contributor
114 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Honolulu/Kauai Trip Report-A great Trip

Just back from Easter break with husband & 2 daughters 15 & 10. It was my second trip to hawaii and the first for the kids. We had a great trip but even as a seasoned traveler- i learned a lot of info to share:

Don't over pack- do as they all say- pack your bags and take out half. Esp in Hawaii where you are island hopping and all is so casual.

We flew direct from Newark- very easy, I did the lei greeting at the airport for the kids and to be honest, I couldhave saved $20 and purchased them right at baggage claim and presented them to the girls. I think it happended so fast (and after a 10 hour flight) that they barely noticed the man who had the sign with their name on it.

Rented a full size car which was a tight squeeze with the overpacked luggage. Again- lesson learned!

Since we arrived late, I booked one night at the Resortquest Beach hotel. The hotel was very busy and reminded me of a Disney moderate resort- lots of pople, mall rooms, great location. Loved the breakfast cooler idea- very easy and fun. I was up early and they served at 6am. We were on the beach at 7 am!

Mistake number 3- I should have packed one bag for overnight for the whole family instead of hauling in all of our stuff to the room for just one night.

Spend day 1 hiking Diamond Head- it was hot but we all enjoyed it . We did purchase the t-shirts sold at the mid point which at 2 for $20 was a bargain. They were delivered to the hotel as promised the next day.

We then hiked to Manoa falls (nice but buggy) and aty at the old Treetops which is a Chinese buffet (marginal at best but cheap).

We then moved to the Sheraton Moana-what can I say- greeted with leis, iced towels and juice- it is a very classy place. We had a partial oceanview tower but did not face the pool. Our view was of the HVAC and hotel across the way but the ocean was beautiful. As others have said- request pool side- it is beautiful. The hotel is under construction so there is no real sitting lobby. The verandas are great. Food and drink very expensive but the location could not be beat. Loved the little coffee shop adjacent to the hotel.

The pool and beach situation is insane- you must "reserve" your lounge chairs the night before. We did not use the beach or pool but I can tell you I watched a lot of money exchange hands. That is how one gets a good spot on the beach or pool area.

We ate at the Halekulani for dinner and it was beautiful, great food and expensive. the kid's were exhausted so it was probably a waste for them (lesson learned). the girls loved shopping at the International market and we hit every ABC store (and there are a lot).

Day 2 we drove to the North beahces enroute to the PCC. Stopped at the Dole Plantation (430 for the train ride a waste- kids too old) . A rock slide forced us to turn all the way back and head up to PCC the other way. Got to PCC at 4 pm and had the inexpensive twilight ticket. We were quite rushed so we only goto 2 villages- the IMAX was great as was the show. Much better than I ever expected. Note: the Horizons show starts at 7:30 but vilalges start packingup at 5:45! We ate at one of the fast food places inside- much better than the luau food or so I was told.

Easter Sunday there were options for church on the beach which people said was really special.

We flew to Kauai (very easy) and drove to Princeville area where we rented at Puu Poa. What a wonderful location! From the airport, I panicked like I was on Mars and jumped into the first Foodland supermarket I saw. One mile later, there was a brand new Shop & Save - oh well. Spent about $75 on breakfast & snacks for 3 days. Be sure to get a shopping card (takes one second)- I saved $25 on my order!

Kids loved the Princeville area- laid back sufing towns. We were next to the Princeville Hotel so we had their beach, restaurant etc... at our disposal. Gorgeous place. My husband played the Prince course. Loved it. Condo was stocked- Note: go to the condo first and see what you need. Laundry deterenget, ice packs, extra beds etc... all provided for your use.

The kids & hubby went to surf lessons with hawaiin surfing adventures. About $65 for a 3 hour lesson- wonderful instructors- a true highlight of the trip. For $30 we bought the picture DVD (a somewhat affiliated photogrpaher)- worth every penny.

Found some grreat local eateries in Hanalei. Tunnels beach (easy to miss-check a guide book for mile markers) and snorkeling by the Princeville Hotel - amazing.

Inportant things to pack or buy: aqua shoes/snorkels/rash guards.

Since check out was early and the flight late back to New Jersey, we spent a relaxing day at Poipu beach. The kids got to see a seal relaxing on the sand.

Thinking about next Easter when we can return. Many thanks to my TA friends for all of the great advice!

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honolulu/Kauai Trip Report-A great Trip

Great report!

thanks for posting!

so how long was your trip?

you started out describing days, then I get lost, did you check out

of the Sheraton after day 2?

T

Da UP
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Honolulu/Kauai Trip Report-A great Trip

Thanks for the trip report! Do you mind sharing details about the restaurants in Hanalei?

Central NJ
Level Contributor
114 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honolulu/Kauai Trip Report-A great Trip

Sorry for the confusion- we spent one night at theResort Quest Waikiki Beach Hotel (Thurs) and then 2 nights Fri & Sat at the Sheraton Moana.

On Sunday, we flew to Kauai at 4pm and moved to Puu Poa. We were able to get a late check out at the Sheraton. All I did was call in the morning.

Central NJ
Level Contributor
114 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honolulu/Kauai Trip Report-A great Trip

As for restaurants in Hanalei- we had dinner at the Hanalei Gourmet- good food, fun music. We had lunch at the pool restaurant at the Princeville Hotel (expensive but excellent and kid's menu.).

We also had a fun lunch at Bubba's- the kind of place you have to eat at.

Did not like CJ's (i think that was the name right in the Princeveille Shopping Center)- very overpriced- reminded me of a Perkins pancake house! Entrees were approx. $25-35

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honolulu/Kauai Trip Report-A great Trip

Thanks for your report and for sharing your experience and your mistakes too. Very helpful!

How long were you in Kauai?

Central NJ
Level Contributor
114 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honolulu/Kauai Trip Report-A great Trip

We were in Kauai for 3 full days. We arrived around 5pm on Sunday and it twas about a 45 minute drive up Princeville. We had all day Mon, Tues & wed to relax! I really loved the condo experience- we had everything we needed. The condo checkout was 10 am and that is why we headed to the South shore for the day. We left the beach a bit late for our flight forgetting that there is actually a rush hour. We ended up with plenty of time but to be safe, count on some delays in the airport area.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
927 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honolulu/Kauai Trip Report-A great Trip

Nice trip report!

Any other info about the Sheraton Moana? How bad is the construction? We will be staying there in 3 weeks ... whats the deal with reserving our lounge chair the night before? Not sure what that means?

Since we are getting free leis at the Sheraton, do you think we should skip the lei greeting at the airport. 2 Lei's may be overkill haha.

Central NJ
Level Contributor
114 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honolulu/Kauai Trip Report-A great Trip

100% skip the lei greeting- at the airport- you are tired, overloaded, suitcases in hand etc... The Sheraton will take the luggage and direct you to the front desk- There you will get a cold towel, fruit drink and gorgeous lei for everyone in your party (they have different ones for men & women). the kids got them too and they were more fragrant than the ones we got at the airport.

The construction is quiet and well covered. It is at one end of the lobby right now and you would not notice it . It came to attention on day 3 that there was outside lobby seating on the front and back proches but very limited in the lobby itself. But who wants to be inside in hawaii?

The hotel is beautiful and the service is great. I had read on the TA hotel review that pool and beach chairs are limited. You must arrange to reserve the the night before. When we headed out early Saturday morning- I noticed that every pool lounge, table and set up on the beach had a reserved sign. You need to go to the pool desk and reserve for the next day. Then the pool attendents find your name, chairs and they "set you up" with towels and cushions. For that service they are tipped.

Since we did not spend time at the pool or beach except for an hour-we used our $1.69 beach mats purchased at the ABC store. As hotel guests, we could sign out towels and lay them on the beach too. There were no open seats. I think if people do not claim their reserved chairs by a certain time, they become available via the desk.

9. Re: Honolulu/Kauai Trip Report-A great Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, August 29, 2009