We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MN
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Luggage

Here is a dumb question that I have not seen on any airline sites or on here.

We have not done any air travel since 911. I have heard that they don't want you to lock your luggage. Is this true? Does anyone know about this? Thanks

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
554 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage

This is correct.

Go here to read more about restrictions and such:

www.tsa.gov/public/display…

Gilbert
Level Contributor
952 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage

And another tip - avoid curbside check-in unless you want to ensure every piece of your checked baggage is rummaged through by TSA. They are kind enough to leave a little flyer in there letting you know they've hand-checked your bags, but they make a mess of your nicely-folded items and personally, I don't like strangers sifting through my undies.

Gilbert
Level Contributor
952 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage

Oh and one more thing - you want to be sure you take and cameras/film/video cameras with you on the plane. The new and more-powerful x-ray equipment on checked luggage will damage any film or video tapes. You'll see signs warning you of this at the airport, but it's nice to know ahead of time when packing. Also be sure to check the websites for what is and what is not allowed in a carryon. You might be surprised.

Indpls
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage

I bought a TSA lock at my local Target store. They have a 3 digit code you use to unlock the luggage, but the TSA officials can open it without breaking the lock. I think it was about $7. Also, put a copy of your itinerary with your name, hotel, cell phone number, etc. on top of the items in your luggage. If it is lost, it will be returned to you much faster!

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage

If you are flying into Oahu and flying out of there just beware. On our return trip, we almost missed our flight. They check your luggage looking for chemical residues with little swap pads by running them across the zippers. For some dumb reason, mine set off the alarms. Then they have to take out every item and check it with the same swabs! I say all of this to make sure you know to leave plenty of time for your return trip. We got there just as they were getting ready to close the doors.

MN
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage

Thanks for all of your help.

Saginaw, Texas
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage

Hi! Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth :) My husband and I have flown numerous times since 9/11, including to Honolulu. I now pack my undies and personables in clear ziplock bags, press out the air so that it is pretty flat and TSA can "see" through the package without actually touching anything. My husband's suitcase generally gets looked at by TSA as he carries his work tools in his suitcase. I carry-on my medications, camera, jewelry, anything of value that cannot be replaced easily. So far (knock on wood) nothing has turned up missing nor has the clothing been really messed up. I really haven't worried about losing anything since the first couple of trips after 9/11. Just be sure to carry-on anything of value. Enjoy your trip!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
554 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage

great idea!! another great use for zip lock bags. Zip lock bags are a travelers dream. I will zip lock the unmentionables from now on. Marvelous idea.

I zip lock all my liquid products like hair gel and shampoo so they don't implode from the pressure and get nasty stuff on your clothes.

Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage

I travel a lot on business. Zip lock bags are definitely a good idea. As a general rule don't put any valuables (camaras, electronics, passports, IDs, tickets, things that can't be replaced) in your checked baggage. Some food items set off the detectors so if packing food goodies, those are best put in your carry-on where they can be easily inspected. Really not much to worry about, check your airline's web page they all offer guidelines or give them a call and ask.