We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chinatown??

WV
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Topic
chinatown??

i went to hawaii about 7 years ago with family..we split up and did our ownt hing. My sister & mother went to chinatown and said not only was it dirty but it was a waste of time and they were scared to even eat there. They came back upset they went and hungry. Im going back to ohau with my boyfriend this summer and he really would like to go see chinatown.. stating its one of the must sees of the island. Im wondering if it has changed much in the past few years, or if it was ever really that bad.. my sister & mom can be a little on the uptight side sometimes. What are your oppinions??

Also how far is chiatown from oahu (im staying at outrigger waikiki on the beach) what is a taxi ride cost out there?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: chinatown??

Just curious after reading this thread. How does China town in Honolulu comapred to the lower 48 China towns? I have been to them all? Is it dirtier than ours here in NYC the one in Manhattan? Does anyone know? We have several China Towns here in Brooklyn and Queens as well. The one in Sunset Park and also Flushing here in Queens. Another one in Brooklyn as well. They are all pretty dirty and crowded not nice like other China Towns. Plus in NY they are all pretty prejudiced when they see us together. We didn't have that experience in SanFransisco or Philly or LA or Boston... My husband is chinese. We LOVED the one in SanFransisco. Our China Town in Manhattan(the famous one) has dog sized rats running around at night. They don't have that in Honolulu do they?

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,662 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: chinatown??

I'm just guessing here... but maybe the people all freaked out about the Honolulu Chinatown haven't been to any others?

Goodyear, Arizona
Level Contributor
993 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: chinatown??

I've been to China Town in SF and to me there is no comparison. I love china town in SF!!! I don't think you can compare them all. The China Town SF and the one in Honolulu are complete opposites. I personally was grossed out and bit queasy at the one Honolulu. However, would recommend anyone going to SF to visit Chinatown there. So I think it's definitely a matter of preference and comparing to apples to apples.

chicago
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: chinatown??

comparing other chinatowns to honolulu, i would say honolulu

cleanliness is above the rest and good attitude is number 1.

SF and ny china towns ranked one of my lowest, no offense

to those sf and ny folks.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
589 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: chinatown??

Hi!

We are from NY and one of our first stops when we visit Honolulu is to go to Chinatown. I think the old architecture of the buildings there is charming and is a slice of history. The Little Village Noodle House is one of our favorite restaurants there. We also love the Vietnamese Restaurants that are on Mauna Kea Street. Our first order of business when arrive is to buy each of our 3 daughters - and me too! - a lei from one of the many florists there. In February we were lucky enough to be there for the Chinese New Year Parade on Saturday 2/17 - it was wonderful. It is very easy to get to by bus. There are frequent buses for $2 that run along Kuhio Avenue from Waikiki. Go and enjoy all the sights, sounds and friendliness that Chinatown in Waikiki has to offer. Have fun!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: chinatown??

Chinatown Honolulu : I Love it

& I agree with Kailua Connie, YCL Cali26, Sleep7, Dusty, BB4dan

& bashfulLV

Also the prior info about buying Leis is SPOT ON

k den

17. Re: chinatown??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, August 29, 2009