We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ala moana centre

nwf
NSW Australia
Level Contributor
910 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
ala moana centre

Hi People,

Any suggestions for a good solid meal at the Ala moana S/C

Where exactly is Restaurant Row in that area? I am lookink for a good Steak meal...Are there any early starters??? NWF

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,554 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ala moana centre

Ala Moana has an incredible selection of restaurants, ranging from fast food to upscale dining. For a complete list see their website at:

http://www.alamoanacenter.com/diningdirec.htm

However, the most fascinating place to eat at the center is the Makai Market.

The Makai Market at Ala Moana Center is hands-down the greatest food court in the world, with dozens of stalls offering every type of dish imaginable. Even the most finicky eater can find several offerings to their liking.

Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Hawaiian, Italian, Mexican, Vietnamese, Thai, Filipino, Local-style, and most any other ethnic food you can envision, along with Vegetarian, Burgers, Sandwiches, Salad, Dessert, and other specialized purveyors; in addition to some of your standard fast food franchises.

Its very clean, safe, huge seating area, and competitively priced. I can't recall anyone saying they didn't like the joint.

Go once early in your visit, and you will return again later on....

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,867 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ala moana centre

I've only eaten in the Food Court, the entire bottom level of the mall. We had a great meal from Lahaina Chicken. Sorry, don't know about other restaurants.

Pittsburgh,PA
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ala moana centre

But where exactly is restaurant row? Is that where Ruth's Chris is?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
888 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ala moana centre

Yes, Restaurant Row is where Ruth Chris' is located. The address is 500 Ala Moana Blvd. It was about a $12 cab ride back to Waikiki. We took the bus to get to Ruth Chris'. Here's info:

http://restaurant-row.com/retail.html

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,554 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ala moana centre

Restaurant Row is located between Waikiki and the Honolulu financial district, at the easterly (Diamond Head side) gateway to downtown.

Frankly, it has seen better days.

Many tenants have failed there over the years, and while there are a few quality restaurants left, you will find Aloha Tower Marketplace (a couple blocks away on the harborfront) and The Ward Centers (halfway between Waikiki and Downtown) to have a better selection and wider variety of eating places.

NY/NJ
Level Contributor
238 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ala moana centre

In the Ala Moana shopping center, in Macy's, we really enjoyed the PIneapple Room. (not a steak place though)

Pittsburgh,PA
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ala moana centre

Thank you!

bc_canada
Level Contributor
226 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ala moana centre

to nwf:

aloha... a 5 minute walk from Ala Moana are the Ward complexes. At the Ward Warehouse (2nd level), there is the Cattle Company, a steakhouse, it is ok. Next door is Kincaid's, a bit pricier (some steaks and chops). Then there's the Old Spaghetti House for cheap pasta!

At Restaurant Row, the Sunset Grill serves steaks. Check out the Friday HNL paper - Dining Out section. there usually is a special ad/coupon. I've seen specials for Rib-eye and T-Bone steaks. I've been there and it was pretty good.

At Sam Choy's BLC (Breakfast, Lunch, and Crab), there is a teriyaki 10oz N.Y. Steak, with sauted onions, which is pretty good. They also had a Prime Rib Night, which was on Mondays after 5pm.

There are some of my choices for steaks, at reasonable prices!

Reno, NV
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: ala moana centre

Restaurant row is way past Ala Moana shopping center just before downtown Honolulu/chinatown from Waikiki. As mentioned on previous posts Ala Moana Food Court has a great selection but is cafeteria style dining. You did not mention where you are staying or when you will be there but you may not have to go far if you're in Waikiki. Ruth Chris is opening (or already open) across the street from the Imperial Waikiki right next to the Embassy Suites on the second level @ the new beachwalk plaza on Lewers St. I was there about 3 weeks ago & it was about ready to open. You must want a steak pretty bad when you get there. I recall the steaks on their menu being about $40 a plate. Bon Apetite

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
589 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ala moana centre

Mortons Steakhouse is right in Ala Moana center. You access it by an elevator in the parking lot near Sears. It's just like Ruth's Chris as far as quality and price. Have fun!