We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time traveller to Hawaii Dec 8/12/17 - 17/12/17

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
First time traveller to Hawaii Dec 8/12/17 - 17/12/17

Hi first time traveller to Hawaii looking for top tips and some local knowledge. Travelling with 3 daughters aged 15-20. Looking for 3/4 must see locations/events. The girls very interested in surf lessons as well. would also love recommendations re bike hire and where is best place to sight see on a bike.

Is there any live sport this time of year? And is it a lot quite in December, tourist wise?

FYI - Staying at Marriott Resort Waikiki Beach.

Edited: 10:01 pm, October 07, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Waikiki Beach
Waikiki Beach
15,059 Reviews
Oahu, HI
11 replies to this topic
Seattle
Level Contributor
6,413 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time traveller to Hawaii Dec 8/12/17 - 17/12/17

If you rent a car, your options will be vastly greater.

Your dates are considered low season, but you will not find things too quiet!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
47,746 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time traveller to Hawaii Dec 8/12/17 - 17/12/17

Hi!

+ You'll be on the Island of Oahu for 9 nights? Do I have that right?

+ Oahu is a sizable Island. If you really want to see it ... or parts of it outside of Honolulu ... you should rent a car for at least part of the time.

+ Do you have a good travel guidebook (or two) for the Island of Oahu? I highly recommend that you get one pronto and dig in. Also - maps of Oahu are essential. You need a feel for what Oahu is like. It's mostly rural.

+ <<is it a lot quite in December, tourist wise?>> Do you mean "is it crowded?" If you're flying home on December 17th - I'd say that your timing is perfect! The Island will be all decked out for Christmas and Christmas events ... but the crowds won't hit until December 15 or 16 (gradually). I know this because my own trip and yours overlap!

<<Staying at Marriott Resort Waikiki Beach.>> Good location.

You all are going to have a blast ... so I recommend:

+ Learn more about Oahu. Feel free to bring more questions to us.

+ Seriously consider a car. There are major sites that do offer transportation - but with the 4 of you it will be pricey - and your flexibility will be nil.

+ This is important: Go to the Island of Oahu Forum (which includes the Honolulu and Waikiki sub-Forum posts) and scroll and read. Take a look at the Top Questions off to the right-hand side of the screen as well. We talk about activities, restaurants ... all kinds of things ... constantly! Including special Christmas events! Take notes as you scroll and come back to the Island of Oahu Forum with more questions.

And December 10th is the Honolulu Marathon!

+ Wonderful shopping on Oahu as well.

I have more to share ... but let's start here.

Edited: 10:35 pm, October 07, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Waikiki Beach
Waikiki Beach
15,059 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time traveller to Hawaii Dec 8/12/17 - 17/12/17

you will find surf lessons and board rentals right on the beach, the girls may want to go out more than once.

Shopping all over Waikiki also very important to the girls, or take the bus to Ala Moana, a huge mall.

Your family should enjoy a hike up Diamond head, great views.

There are bikes for rent right on the street but riding in Waikiki is not great with all the traffic.

Catamarrans go out for one hour sails right off the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,835 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
153 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time traveller to Hawaii Dec 8/12/17 - 17/12/17

Thanks BLBL very informative. Appreciate your assistance

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time traveller to Hawaii Dec 8/12/17 - 17/12/17

Awesome thanks Terry E

Edited: 11:07 pm, October 07, 2017
Sydney
Level Contributor
168 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time traveller to Hawaii Dec 8/12/17 - 17/12/17

You arrive just after the Memorial day weekend so miss out on the activities for that. You are also over there during the surf tournaments at North Shore so you can go an have a look at that. Surf in Waikiki is still pretty low at that time.

So. Must sees for that time of year.

Banzai and the rest of North Shore. (Billabong Pipes Masters is on)

Pearl harbour (Always busy)

Ala Moana and Waikele for your pre Christmas shopping.

Hike Diamond head

Grab a convertible and drive around the island stopping at the towns on the way.

walk across the road and just enjoy the beach.

Yes there are rental bikes all over Honolulu. Just ensure your travel insurance has ample coverage :)

I always find that it rains a little more in the winter months, but its nothing bad. Misty periods and still really nice weather.

Mentioned in this post
North Shore
North Shore
1,063 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,835 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
153 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time traveller to Hawaii Dec 8/12/17 - 17/12/17

Just before Christmas is a lovely time to visit. Some things we have done on our last two pre-Christmas trips are:

Last year we took part in the inaugural Merrie Mile fun run. It was a blast! Lots of costumes and music lining the street for the easy run. From memory it is on the day after you arrive. The Sunday after that the marathon is held so some roads will be shut during this time.

Rent a car - Australians need to ensure insurances are all covered. I use www.traveljigsaw.com.au for our twice a year trips. Other Australians have used Discount Hawaiian Car Rental plus another that the name escapes me at the moment. These automatically include all relevant insurances.

Personally I wouldn’t ride a bike - Waikiki is all within walking distance from one end to the other and the roads are all very busy.

Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor and Haunama Bay are all great as is a drive up to the North Shore however during your visit the waves will be huge.

Surf lessons are everywhere along the beachfront in Waikiki so just walk along until you find one you like.

We also get our family Christmas photo taken with Surfer Santa LOL at Ala Moana - it’s cheesy but a great memory.

Visit the Honolulu Town Hall as it is all decked out with gorgeous Christmas decorations.

Your girls will love shopping - don’t forget to visit everyday shops like Walmart, Target plus drugstores where they can load up on very cheap cosmetics (parentals can buy cheap alcohol if wanting to).

Just a few suggestions that may help.

Edited: 5:27 am, October 08, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
153 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Pearl Harbor Tours
Pearl Harbor Tours
174 Reviews
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,063 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Ala Moana Hotel
Ala Moana Hotel
3,835 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time traveller to Hawaii Dec 8/12/17 - 17/12/17

If you mean renting a bike in general, I wouldn't really say anywhere outside of Waikiki is particularly bike friendly.

Within Waikiki (and around downtown Honolulu) they've recently installed Biki. They're basically bike racks placed around where you can pay to rent one for a period of time and then return it at another bike rack when you get where you're going: https://gobiki.org/

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Downtown Honolulu
Downtown Honolulu
455 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,058 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First time traveller to Hawaii Dec 8/12/17 - 17/12/17

?

Memorial Day is in May, not Dec.

December is a lovely time to be on O`ahu.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,511 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time traveller to Hawaii Dec 8/12/17 - 17/12/17

Aussies are always welcome.

We have car hire in Britain, Ireland, Australia, and one soon adjusts to the driving.

Reply to: First time traveller to Hawaii Dec 8/12/17 - 17/12/17
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted