We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Room with a kitchenette

Brisbane
Level Contributor
163 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Room with a kitchenette

Hi All

My husband and I travel to Hawaii pretty much every year. It is our number 1 favourite place for a holiday. Our usual "go to" hotel is the Hilton Waikiki Beach on Kuhio as the location is great and the rooms have been modernised.

We are now planning on visiting again for 13 nights from 13 - 26 January 2018. This time however, it will be a family trip, as 8 weeks ago we had our first baby. He'll be just over 5 months by January and just starting solid food etc. Accordingly, the trusty Hilton Waikiki Beach is no longer suitable for us, as we really need a little kitchenette and microwave to sterilise bottles etc.

So far from my investigations, the best place for our needs looks to be Hokulani Waikiki (HGV), but I thought I'd see if anyone else had any suggestions? My only preference is that it be slightly modern, not stuck in the 80s style! Do any of the big hotels have any rooms with kitchenettes?

Thanks for your help. This is certainly going to be a very different vacation for us - but a nice one I'm hoping!

Thanks

Mel

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Hilton Waikiki Beach
Hilton Waikiki Beach
4,902 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kuhio Beach
Kuhio Beach
504 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hokulani Waikiki by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hokulani Waikiki by...
888 Reviews
Oahu, HI
26 replies to this topic
Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Room with a kitchenette

It sounds like you might actually want to look into condos more than hotels...Have you checked out the Ilikai?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
163 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Room with a kitchenette

Yes, I have - but it's just a bit too far out of everything! My husband even thinks HHV is too far away!!

Iowa
Level Contributor
13,647 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Room with a kitchenette

What about Embassy Suites? I don't know how recently they have updated the rooms, though. As a young family we liked Embassy Suites in many locations across the US.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,511 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Room with a kitchenette

Where would you like to be close to? Both the Outriggers have suites. Also take a look at the Waikiki Banyan. These are close to Kuhio Beach.

If you would like to be oceanfront over not too far from the Hilton Hawaiian Village is the Waikiki Shore. Also over there are the Ilikai and the Ilikai Marina.

Edited: 10:19 am, September 17, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Waikiki Banyan
Waikiki Banyan
560 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kuhio Beach
Kuhio Beach
504 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki Shore
Waikiki Shore
750 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
242 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Room with a kitchenette

Just curious ... is there something specific that's makes HHV too far, or just in general ?

Because they have a brand new timeshare building (condo with full kitchen) that just opened in March . It also has a small pool, only for guests in that building ( Grand Islander) that would be good for the baby. You can check Hilton to see if there's availability from HGVC.

But back to your original request, I know there are places closer to where you want to be, I just don't know what they are ☹️ I'm sure lots of recommendations will be posted any time now . Hope you have a great trip !

Mentioned in this post
The Grand Islander by Hilton Grand Vacations
The Grand Islander by...
469 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,822 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Room with a kitchenette

Hi there,

I feel you :-) We were in the same situation as you too, happily going to our happy place in Hawaii without a care in the world then BAM out comes little Miss Toodles :-)

I agree with you that the Ilikai, while great, is a little too far from the action of Waikiki. We've stayed there 3 times (and recently this year) and we found walking back from restaurants at night with a pram was a drag especially when you've had a drink or two lol!

Check out Waikiki Banyan and Waikiki Sunset through vrbo. I've personally not stayed there yet but I'm looking at those for our trip early next year. Some condos have been nicely renovated as well and you'll have a bit more space too and a kitchen which is so handy. Some have glimpses of the beach but the location is nice and central for all things Waikiki.

Enjoy Hawaii with a baby! We've been going since our girl was 1 year old it's a great place for a family holiday :-)

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Waikiki Banyan
Waikiki Banyan
560 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,136 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Room with a kitchenette

Do you need a true kitchenette or just a microwave?

If you don't have to have an oven and stovetop, then Embassy Suites would work.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,136 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Room with a kitchenette

Oh, and -

Is there a price point we should beware of?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
163 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Room with a kitchenette

No - definitely do not need an oven and stove top - I will not be cooking on my holiday!

We usually walk into the Cheesecake Factory or Royal Hawaiian Centre in the evenings, which is why my husband feels HHV is too far - I wish he didn't feel that way as I saw a great property on VRBO for the new tower there.

Waikiki Shore looks good - I might contact them to see if any of the rooms have been updated.

Otherwise we're still considering the Hokulani by HGV (it seems to have everything) and also the Ritz Carlton Residences - although, this property has always seemed like a ghost town whenever we've walked past....

Mentioned in this post
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,603 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki Shore
Waikiki Shore
750 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,136 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Room with a kitchenette

<"No - definitely do not need an oven and stove top - I will not be cooking on my holiday!">

OK. That will make your range of options broader.

Congratulations on your new arrival!

Enjoy these precious moments.

Reply to: Room with a kitchenette
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted