We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me with air fare issue

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Please help me with air fare issue

Hello,

I am solo female traveler, I will be traveling to Hawaii from July 22 thru July 31. I will be staying at the Hale Koa Hotel. Problem is the air fare. This is my first at planning a vacation without a travel agent. My Question is regarding the AIr Fare.....two weeks ago a flight from JFK to HNL was: $608.00, I thought the air fare would go decrease further. Bad choice, the fare is now at $717.00.

I just found a deal at hotwire for $600.00, has anyone used hotwire previously utilized hotwire in the past? does anyone know if the airfare will go down again before July or should I book hotwire or wait for the airfare to go down? or the fares will only increase from now to July?

Sorry for asking so many questions. When I went to Paris, two years ago alone, I recieved so many health tips. That my trip went totally smooth.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,644 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me with air fare issue

First, you will love the Hale Koa....

Now for your question. It is possible the price will go down but more likely due to rising oil prices they will go up. You could take a chance and make your plans then wait for the last minute and pray a discounted seat is offered. If one isn't then you will be paying even more than the prices you see now.

$600 is a resonable price to fly from NY to HI...I would say take it then stop looking, you will only go nuts thinking you might have saved a few dollars. Instead spend the time planning the rest of your stay and the things you will be doing.

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me with air fare issue

Check out kayak.com. It is a site that pulls the cheapest airfares from numerous airlines at once. It gives you a good picture of the fares that day. Fares tend to fluctuate on a daily basis. If you are traveling in July, that is considered high season / school's out, lots of family vacations. You should purchase your ticket ASAP if you think you have a good fare, because it will really only go up as the summer approaches. We flew to Hawaii from Virginia last summer. I purchased our tickets 8 months before our trip for $687. If you find anything in the $600 to $700 range, you should jump on it. I think the only risk with Hotwire is that you won't be able to choose your flight times (I think). You get what they give you and have to be happy with it. Hotwire is reputable as is Priceline, you just have to accept what you are given. Good luck.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
163 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me with air fare issue

I made this exact mistake last year, and watched the airfares climb all spring until I finally paid WAY to much. I was advised to get the cheapest package possible (even though I would not use the hotel portion). I ended up paying $550 for the air and hotel from San Diego. I should have figured out how to resell the room, but I didn't do that. It was still cheaper than the airfare alone by that time (mid April). I say: buy early!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me with air fare issue

Thanks for everyone's help, booked my flight. I was told that the prices do not decrease but instead increase. I booked for $672.00 from NY to Honolulu.

My final question is, is it necessary for me to rent a car, since I will be traveling solo?

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me with air fare issue

July is the most expensive month to fly, the LA fares will approach that price for July. All flights will be sold out weeks in advance. The months to wait are more like May, Sept-November.

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me with air fare issue

Mishie: You did good. Congrats. Now just forget about the air because if you keep checking now that you have taken the plunge, it will drive you nuts.

I've only been to Maui and BI, but, I have read that parking is an issue in Waikiki, and premium prices charged by hotels for overnight parking. I wouldn't rent a car for the whole time you are there. I'd take shuttle / taxi to hotel. Waikiki is supposed to have a terrific public transport system, so I'd utilize it. And if I found I wanted to venture to the North Shore or other parts of the island that the bus didn't run, I'd rent a car for the day. There are rental places within walking distance to most hotels, I believe. I hope you have a great trip.

Hawaii
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help me with air fare issue

Even if you plan to go to the north shore you can take the Circle Island bus. The route is around the entire island and has many stops. It leaves from the Ala Moana shopping center every 30 minutes and only cost $1 for every time you get on. So you can get off somewhere and get back on for another stop for only $1. Ask your hotel exactly where the bus stop is. You may also consider renting a one bedroom condo which will have a kitchen so you don't have to eat out all the time. The condo may also have parking included if you decide to rent a car.

albany, n.y.
Level Contributor
697 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help me with air fare issue

You might try Priceline and make an offer. I flew last year August Hi. to NYC $560.00 to Newark and the follong november Hi. to Baltimore

460.00. Give it a try you might get lucky.

Kingston
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help me with air fare issue

If you're staying in Waikiki you won't need a car. Most things (restaurants, shows, beach, shopping) are within walking distance. Parking is difficult to find and expensive when you find it. If you want to do tours there's lots of vendors. We arrived at HNL Jan. 31st and our travel agent had booked a lei greeting and our roundtrip hotel transfers with Aloha VIP Tours. They welcome you at the arrival gate with a lei greeting and then assist you with baggage and transportaiton to your hotel. There's a free breakfast / orientation the next morning at a nearby hotel and return transportation to HNL is also provided. Check them out at vthioahu.com/Activities/…lanvip.htm. This site indicates a price of $29 for lei greeting and roundtrip transportation. Certainly cheaper than a taxi or car rental.

World Traveler
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help me with air fare issue

Hi Mishie, Congrats on getting your tickets; they're cheaper than mine are from Korea to Hawaii and my wife and I are staying at the Hale Koa.

Since you're staying at the Hale Koa you have plenty of options available to you.

Bus

Walking

Bike

Scooter

Rental car (parking is US$6.00 per day at Hale Koa)

The rental rate at Budget is at this webpage:

https:/…initializer.ex

I plugged in your dates and used Noon as a time reference. Price seemed okay to me.

If you belong to an association, e.g., Air Force Association, Professional Engineers, LPGA, a trade union, and the like, you may qualify for a rental car discount. If you're military, USPHS or a DoD civilian those associations may help you with a rental car discount. The Air Force Association, of which I'm a member, offers a 25% discount to members renting from Budget.

Also, if you are a frequent flyer member, you may earn miles and perhaps a discount for renting a car from an associated agency. I'm a Royal Orchid Plus (Thai Airways) member and I can also receive a 10% discount on a rental car with Budget and earn 500 miles toward my ROP account.

Check around and I'm sure you can find something to benefit you.

As far as the price for your air ticket goes, the best price is the price you feel is fair to you.

Good Luck!

Terry