We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving in Newport? Help/advice for details, please

Marlton, NJ
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving in Newport? Help/advice for details, please

Hi...my family is thinking about spending Thanksgiving in Newport. We've never been and always enjoy checking out places "out of season". My husband and I are mid-late 30's and our 2 boys are 1 and 3. We'd also like to bring our small dog. We need suggestions for all the details.

We plan to arrive Wed and leave Sat.

Lodging: So far, considering Hotel Viking and Hyatt Regency. Are these good/wise choices? Differences between them? Others I should consider?

Dining: Main concern is Thanksgiving. We'd like something traditional, fun, etc. Should we travel out of Newport or is there someplace good in town? Other fun kid-friendly options for the rest of the trip?

Activity: We'd like a hotel with an indoor pool. I understand the outdoor Ice Skating Rink opens that weekend. Would be nice to see the Mansions or maybe just Astors Beechwood. Carriage rides available? Also would consider visiting a tree farm...I know some in New England will ship, but that may be more in VT, NH, etc. Suggestions for things to do with the kids?

Babysitting: Any hotels/services that provide good child care for an evening out?

Okay, please feel free to add anything you feel would be helpful. Forgive my naivete, as I mentioned, we've not been before.

Also, we are considering (to avoid holiday traffic a bit) breaking the trip up and staying in the Darien/Bridgeport/Stamford area on Tues night before arrival and Saturday night on the way home. Any recommendations for affordable hotels?

Thanks,

Shari

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
237 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving in Newport? Help/advice for details, please

Thanksgiving is a great time to visit Newport and you will get a better deal since it is "off season." I would consider White Horse Tavern or Clarke Cooke House for Thanksgiving dinner. Both offer a nice traditional Thanksgiving dinner along with a couple of other options for those who would rather have something else. There are tree farms on your way into Newport. Around or near URI on route 138. As far as a place to stay, since you are traveling with children, you may want to consider one of the time share resorts. The Wellington has an indoor pool and offer 2 bedroom units or a one bedroom with pull out. It is located on Themes making it walking distance to restaurants and shops. The mansions: I would recommend the Breakers, Marble House and the Elms at the top of the list. For casual dining, if you like seafood, I would recommend Scales and Shells. The Black Pearl is also kid friendly. Well, have fun!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving in Newport? Help/advice for details, please

Thanksgiving is a fine time to be in Newport.

Last year I researched the Thanksgiving dinner ideas and decided that I wanted to try an all-you-can-eat buffet. There were only a few choices and we opted for Fathoms Restaurant in the Marriott. It was great! The kids will be AOK. The Marriott is right on the main drag, America's Cup and so is easy to find. Plenty of parking. Speaking of parking, people often make a big deal about parking in Newport. I was born and raised in Manhattan so from my POV parking is not a big deal at all. I've spent a lot of time in Newport at many different times of the year and parking has never been a problem. If you're used to country living and never having to find a parking space except at the mall (as compared to alternate side of the street parking) then you may be stressed.

I agree that a timeshare would be best for you and I highly recommend the Fairfield Long Wharf Resort.; it meets all your criteria and happens to be around the corner from Fathoms Restaurant. Post here if you need more help.

Kingston, RI
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving in Newport? Help/advice for details, please

Hi Shari,

I work at the University of Rhode Island and go to Newport often. The Hyatt Regency - Goat Island is nice with an indoor pool for the kids. Plus, every room looks out on the water. They also have baby sitting service that you can set up at the front desk. You might also try calling the Mariott Newport (have indoor pool also and is located on Thames Ave. (main street) in Newport. It's as nice as the Hyatt, but the Hyatt is out on the water a bit more with better views. As far as the restaurants for Thanksgiving, there are a ton of restauarnts within walking distance of the hotel. I'm sure the hotel can give you some names and phone numbers to call when making your reservation. You might also try calling the following restaurant :

The Mooring Restaurant Serves a Traditional Feast From Land and Sea on Thanksgiving Day, Newport, RI – The Mooring, located on Sayer’s Wharf in the heart of Newport, Rhode Island, will be open for Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday, November 27th from 12:00 PM – 7:00 PM. Call 401-846-2260 for more information.

If you can't get into a hotel in Newport for any reason, try calling the Holiday Inn in South Kingstown. I believe they allow pets. It's probably a 4 mile drive from the Holiday Inn to Newport.

The kids might like the train ride from Newport that goes up the coast aways. It's not a long ride, but could be fun. The hotel would have more information on scheduling/pricing.

Newport has tons of shops, restaurants and historical buildings which are fun to go in. Santa might be around, so maybe the kids could visit him!

I hope the weather is perfect for your family. If it is not too cold, you may enjoy a boat ride up the coast (the ones that point out the history and mansions of Newport). Anyway, have fun , have a safe trip, and have a wonderful holiday!

Tory

toryp@mail.uri.edu

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving in Newport? Help/advice for details, please

While those are great suggestions Tory, I think they already took this trip....last year.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving in Newport? Help/advice for details, please

Hi! I know this is not my topic, but I am also looking for a good thanksgiving deal in Newport. Does anybody have any advice on where best to stay if I want something romantic (and preferrably not crazy expensive)?. I've never been, but heard a lot of good things about Newport, and would like to spend 2-3 relaxing days with my fiance there.

Thanks a lot!

Eva

6. Re: Thanksgiving in Newport? Help/advice for details, please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, September 11, 2009