We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Columbus weekend

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Columbus weekend

I will be staying in newport Columbus weekend for my anniversary. I'm very excited!! Is it typically busy that time of year? Should I purchase tickets in advance for the mansions, and sailing tours? Also, any recommendations for a wine bar, or a nice bar to grab drinks before heading to dinner?

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Columbus weekend

If the weather is nice, it should be busy. You wouldn't need tickets in advance at that time. There are tons of nice places in Newport, it really depends on what you are looking for in terms of atmosphere,but I don't know of any specific wine bars.

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Columbus weekend

We are planning on dining at the white horse tavern one night, we are pretty casual people, like to get dressed up for a nice meal, but not into very extravagant places. Usually like to stop at a nice bar for a martini or glass of wine before dinner.

We also would like to take a sunset cruise, I'm thinking of sailing on the Madeline.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
488 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Columbus weekend

There is a nice (if small) bar at Pero Salado kind of across the street from the white horse. There are four or five bars on broadway just around the corner and a bunch more down Thames street within a couple of blocks. It depends on what you like but you will not have a problem finding a nice spot for a drink

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Columbus weekend

Thanks for the suggestion. What bout newport wine cellar? I also need a restaurant recommendation for our 2nd night. Is mama Luia a good choice?

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Columbus weekend

Thanks for the suggestion. What bout newport wine cellar? I also need a restaurant recommendation for our 2nd night. Is mama Luia a good choice?

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
488 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Columbus weekend

Newport Wine Cellar is a wine shop not a bar...but it is a lovely wine shop. The owner also has a small market/cheese shop next door (Le petit gourmet). You can get some wine and take it next door and sit with a cheese plate or other snacks. They also have a kitchen and make some yummy stuff for lunch.

Also right across the street from there is the Viking Hotel. They have a rooftop bar that is a great place to watch the sunset. Not sure if it is still open then though. Also The Vanderbilt Grace has a nice rooftop bar

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Columbus weekend

That's for clarifying about newport wine cellar, and your other recommendations.

8. Re: Columbus weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 12, 2014