We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

surfing/snorkeling in newport

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
1 review
Save Topic
surfing/snorkeling in newport

Anyone knows if there's a snorkeling or surfing spot for beginner in Newport? It doesn't have to have instructor just surfing for beginners and a surf/snorkeling shop near by to rent the board for couple hrs?

Thanks

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: surfing/snorkeling in newport

Snorkeling isn't a big thing up here. Most public beaches here have restrictions on surfing during lifeguard hours, however, Surfer's End at Sachuest Beach is for surfers, if there aren't big waves that would certainly be for beginners, or go after hours, Sachuest and Narragansett beaches would probably be your best bet. There's a lot of sea kayaking and SUP around here too.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: surfing/snorkeling in newport

Could you please suggest the rental store there that's close to beach ?

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
490 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: surfing/snorkeling in newport

As hillside said the surfers end of Sachuest Beach is popular and there is a vendor there (Elemental Surf I think...) that rents equipment. i think they also give lessons. It can be really crowded if the surf is good. Easton's beach also has a surfers end and since the waves are smaller is less crowded. Water Bros. and Elemental are two surf shops.

Snorkeling here can be great but it is very variable and weather dependent. Average visibility is probably about 10-12 feet but can be 3 feet one day and 20 feet a couple of days later. The Dive Shop on Thames St is the place in town. Where to go all depends on wind direction and ocean swell but a few good spots for beginners are King's Beach (not kings park) in Newport and Fort Wetherhill in Jamestown.

When are you coming?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: surfing/snorkeling in newport

Sept 10. Have you heard of rhody surf shop? Also how's water temp I'm thinking of skipping wet suit. Thx

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
490 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: surfing/snorkeling in newport

Oh like tomorrow. Nice the weather is beautiful. I am actually at the surfers end of Sachuest beach right now eating a scone and it is about as calm as it gets. Tiny little break. Three people in the water. Rhody Surf is relatively new...they actually the one that rents gear at the beach (not anymore though). Give them a look.

I would at least wear a shorty. Not sure about water temp but we've had cool nights lately so it's dropping. The four people now in the water are all wearing full suits.

If it stays laid down like this the snorkeling conditions should be great.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: surfing/snorkeling in newport

Snorkeling?

What sort of things do you see?

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: surfing/snorkeling in newport

Water temp is in the mid to upper 60's, definitely still swimmable if you don't need 70 degree temps like most people around here; generally speaking RI'ers aren't very hardy. But we'll be getting some heat and humidity on Tues and Wed so that always helps. Sachuest Beach is gorgeous and you don't have to worry about rules or parking after Labor Day when the lifeguards are off duty.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: surfing/snorkeling in newport

Cannot wait; I LOVE second beach!!!

9. Re: surfing/snorkeling in newport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 11, 2014