We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing Tickets to the Mansions

Texas
Level Contributor
6,313 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Purchasing Tickets to the Mansions

Hello!

If you are a regular and have been reading my posts, can you believe I'll be in Newport next week at this time? #grin #happydance!

The Mr. & I plan to see The Breakers, The Elms plus the Servant's Life Tour, and if time allows Hunter House. I would like to buy my tickets in advance. I can buy a ticket to see The Breakers and The Elms for $24.50 per person and a ticket for The Servant's Life Tour for another $15.00 per person. This totals $79.00. I'm not sure how much it will cost to see Hunter House because every possible ticket combo on the Preservation Society website EXCLUDES Hunter House. Anyway, I can become buy a membership for two for $75.00 and that will get me into any of the properties including Hunter House plus a discount in the gift shops. I know I'm not a local and I certainly don't want to cheat the Preservation Society out of any funds, but it seems to me having the membership is not only more economical but more convenient as well.

Thoughts?

Viking Tours of Newport
City Tours, Bus Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
On Watch Sailing
Boat Tours, Water Sports, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Newport Tour & Guide
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Historic Tours of Newport
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Northeast us
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing Tickets to the Mansions

Hunter house does not open for the season until next weekend, so maybe that's why the tickets don't show it as a combination? It is curious that it's specifically excluded from even the 5 mansion option

Memberships are allowed an encouraged for out of towners ( most of the visitors are!) so go for it if it makes sense! I think you can even upgrade any tickets you buy to a membership on the spot. But membership says it includes only "regular" tours at each place so I think you may have to pay something for Servants' Life anyway

Texas
Level Contributor
6,313 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing Tickets to the Mansions

Thank you for the info! Perhaps your right about Hunter House. I hadn't noticed that it won't open until next weekend. Lucky us since that is when we will be arriving! ;0) Even if we have to pay extra for the Servant's Life tour, it's worth it and doable! :D

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing Tickets to the Mansions

Teacher, you are going to have such a great time! The weather is all glorious summer right now. It's actually going to skim the 90s mid-week. Only afternoon thunderstorms, nothing major, weather-wise. We spent this past weekend in Newport in a stretch limo, celebrating an important birthday. We all (8 family members)had such a wonderful time that mid-week we are all returning for a sunset charter cruise. Living close to Newport is such a huge bonus in RI in summer.

Current ocean temps are 59-70. That's pretty cold for swimming but nice for boating or shore-walking, which we have done plenty of this past week. By next weekend I bet it's solidly in the 60s in water temps. The most important thing is to remember to wear sun screen! The sun can burn you in less than 20 minutes. Hats, sunglasses, etc. all good!

Texas
Level Contributor
6,313 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing Tickets to the Mansions

Thanks Lauryc! Texas temps are approaching 100 degrees daily, so we are looking forward to the cooler weather! It's going to be a FABULOUS trip!

It won't be long now. Just 4 more days! :D :D :D

BTW.... it sounds like you had a marvelous weekend. What a fun way to spend a birthday!

5. Re: Purchasing Tickets to the Mansions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 26, 2014