We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book restaurant cruises now or wait for forecast?

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Book restaurant cruises now or wait for forecast?

Arriving in Newport on Thursday 5/23 staying 4 nights at Attwater. Would like to enjoy dinner at Castle Hill (or any other outdoor ocean view venue) and wonder if I should wait to see what the forecast is like or book now. It will be Memorial Day weekend and the Atlantic Cup is going on ( I think) so I am expected crowds. Also, a harbor cruise sounds wonderful but thinking the same thing? Book now or chance it waiting for the forecast? Being from upstate NY I am a little gun shy when it comes to the weather! We have had snow into late April here! Thank you again for any help!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book restaurant cruises now or wait for forecast?

Definitely wait! There is no way the harbor cruises will sell out. Just book as soon as you know the forecast. If you book on Thursday I'm sure you will have your pick of cruises. As for Castle Hill Inn, they do not have outdoor dining. They have a few tables and Adirondack chairs outdoors that are first come, first served for drinks. At least I have never seen outdoor dining there..

new york
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book restaurant cruises now or wait for forecast?

Thank you! I spoke incorrectly about the restaurant.. we would like a place with a beautiful view- I think it will be too cool to eat outdoors! Given that... reservations for the restaurants now? I am thinking about making several reservations in advance at different places ie Castle Hill, Bowens 22, Spiced Pear, The moorings.Are there any other MUST eat places for a special birthday dinner?

Edited: 6:48 am, May 03, 2013
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book restaurant cruises now or wait for forecast?

To tell you the truth, my favorite "Newport" restaurant is Flo's Clam Shack, just over the line across from the beach in Middletown. It's got views and not much over $10. The Castle Hill Inn and Spiced Pear have the views. They are foodie destinations with lots of compotes and reductions, but the prices I think are almost ridiculous. For special occasions my favorite is Bouchard's. It's a French restaurant, romantic fine dining and yet relaxed, warm and comfortable. The prices are moderate and the food is wonderful. My previous experience with French restaurants centers around the island of St Martin, and several visits in Providence to Pot au Feu, and I prefer Bouchard's to them all. And you eat very, very well in St Martin.

Of course, nobody comes to Newport for French food. :) Except the locals.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book restaurant cruises now or wait for forecast?

The weather could certainly be very pleasant then, if the weather we've been having lately is any indication. In late May it still does cool down near the ocean at night. Memorial Day weekend never seems as crazy packed as, say July 4th, or any other weekend in July early August when day-trippers and everyone else comes into town.

new york
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Book restaurant cruises now or wait for forecast?

Took your advice lauryc & got a reservation at Bouchard's. Menu looks fabulous! Hopefully the weather will hold out for us!!

6. Re: Book restaurant cruises now or wait for forecast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 05, 2014