We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for atmosphere on the water-where the locals go

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for atmosphere on the water-where the locals go

Looking for a restaurant/bar water view where the locals go and of course great seafood. Thx

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for atmosphere on the water-where the locals go

What time of year are you going ? I only ask that because the quality of the food sometimes goes down in the busy season...locals will still visit the bars, but go elsewhere for the food.

this time of year some favorites for both are (various versions of water views:

The Mooring, 22 Bowens, Fluke, Clarke Cooke House,

In Season (mostly for drinks)

Lobster Bar, The Landing, Pier 49, 41 North, Portside, @ the Deck.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for atmosphere on the water-where the locals go

We are planning on early August... thx

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for atmosphere on the water-where the locals go

Pineapples, on a patio behind the Hyatt on Goat Island, is a great place for drinks, lunch, or a light meal. One of the best views in Newport and you can enjoy it from anyplace on the patio.

You can enjoy a drink in an Adirondack chair on the lawn of Castle Hill Inn. The food is pricey, though. Great views of the West Passage. We enjoy a glass of wine there, and then head to someplace else for dinner.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
84 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for atmosphere on the water-where the locals go

It really depends on which local you ask. If you want something outside in the middle of it all then the Pearl Patio on Bowen's Wharf is always busy in the summer. It's very casual. I like sitting at the Cooke House sushi bar (especially if you can get what I call the luxury box - the seats facing the pearl patio - great for people watching) or sit at the bistro tables outside the Cooke House entrance. If you want something really casual but the BEST waterfront spot in town , then go to the Lobster Bar and wait for a table to open up outside on the water. They have great seafood. It's much better than the landing IMO (even though it's the same kitchen.)

I also love the upstairs bar at Fluke. Their food is great and you can glimpse the water from upstairs.

41North is great for being on the water even if it is pricey, and I go there for a drink or two - but I don't eat there anymore because the service can be atrocious. And in the summer when they're busy I've had mixed experiences with bartenders being snooty. But the atmosphere is fantastic. Every season I hope they'll get their act together....fingers still crossed for this year.

5. Re: Looking for atmosphere on the water-where the locals go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, March 10, 2014