We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newport visit without a car.

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin,Ireland
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Newport visit without a car.

I am planning a visit to Boston from Ireland during the summer and wanted to visit Newport. I wont have a car and will depend on public transport. Can anyone tell me is this possible ? I intend staying in Newport for 4 nights. Are there good public transport links from Boston to Newport ?

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newport visit without a car.

You have several options. Peter Pan bus goes direct from Boston to Newport. The more affordable option would be to take the commuter rail MBTA to Providence and catch a local RIPTA bus to Newport. The commuter rail from Boston also now goes all the way to North Kingstown, and I believe there is a RIPTA park and ride closeby. Once in Newport, you really don't need a car.

Edited: 9:17 am, January 25, 2013
Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
913 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newport visit without a car.

I've actually taken the Peter Pan bus from Boston to Newport and return for business. I think this is a very viable option if you are depending on public transport to get to Newport. You would access the bus right at South Station in downtown Boston and the bus drops you off at the terminal right in downtown Newport, next to the visitor center. The ride took about 1.5 hours and there was one stop in Fall River, just for a few minutes.

While you can take Amtrak to Kingston, which is fine.......you would need to take busses from there or cabs, and it's not that close to Newport. Cab would be very costly - more than $50.

While you can take the MBTA to North Kingstown, you would have to schlep with your luggage to the bus stop and it's probably about .5 mile up hill.

In my mind, the least problematic way would be to take Peter Pan right into Newport from South Station in Boston

Dublin,Ireland
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Newport visit without a car.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards

4. Re: Newport visit without a car.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 28, 2014